It was no wonder that after He Yan woke up, everyone in the He family treated her with caution. They were afraid that she would accidentally commit suicide again.

He Yunsheng was still talking endlessly, scolding He Yan for not being clear-headed. He didn't know that his real sister had long passed away. He Yan wrung her hands in her heart. Lady He shouldn't have ruined her life for a liar. Life was very precious. It was a waste to give it to someone who wasn't worth it. Moreover, if she passed away like this, the person who betrayed her would still live freely, but the person who truly loved her would be in so much pain that he wished he was dead.

What was the point of hurting her loved ones and making her enemies happy?

Her experience was somewhat similar to Lady He's. They both had bad relationships, but she was different from Lady He. He Yuansheng, He Yuanliang, He Rufei, Xu Zhiheng, and He Wanru. She would personally visit them one by one and take back what they owed her.

For this, she had done a lot of work.

Every morning, she would walk with a sandbag tied to her body in order to regain her strength. Every afternoon, she would sell goods in the marketplace so that she could inquire about the He family and the Xu family from all kinds of people.

For example, the blind Madam Xu had accidentally fallen into the water and drowned a few days ago. The First Master of the Xu family was inconsolable and bedridden. The entire He family was mourning, and the First Master of the He family's hair turned white overnight. General Feihong and his sister were very close, so he personally took care of his cousin's funeral. The funeral lasted for three days and three nights, and the whole city knew about it.

These half-truths flew into He Yan's ears like snowflakes, and she could only laugh it off.

The truth had been covered up, and she had to uncover it. Before that, she had to live well.

Chapter 7

At night, the wind came in through the cracks in the window and made the candlelight sway slightly. He Yan looked at the silver pieces in front of him and asked, "That's all?"

"I've already asked the shopkeeper to give me more." Qing Mei said awkwardly, "But the shopkeeper said that the jewelry can only be exchanged for this much."

He Yan nodded, "Then you can leave first."

Qing Mei left.

He Yan picked up the silver pieces one by one and put them in his palm. There were only two pieces in total. She felt that her heart seemed to be broken along with them.

When she was in the He Family, she didn't lack money. Even if she was really short of money, she could casually take some jewelry or jade pendant to exchange for some money. Later, when she was on the battlefield, she didn't need money. When she returned to the capital, the Emperor's rewards filled several courtyards of the He Family.

She thought of the gold, silver, and jewelry bestowed to General Feihong. She could take any one of them and solve the He Family's urgent needs. But she wasn't in the He Family now.

He Yan sighed heavily and finally understood what it meant to be "a penny stumped a hero".

At night, the wind came in through the cracks in the window and made the candlelight sway slightly. He Yan looked at the silver pieces in front of him and asked, "That's all?"

"I've already asked the shopkeeper to give me more." Qing Mei said awkwardly, "But the shopkeeper said that the jewelry can only be exchanged for this much."

He Yan nodded, "Then you can leave first."

Qing Mei left.

He Yan picked up the silver pieces one by one and put them in his palm. There were only two pieces in total. She felt that her heart seemed to be broken along with them.