1 | MIND OVER MATTER

I awoke to a symphony of rumbling noises that filled the air. I desperately tried to drift back to sleep, hoping the clamor would fade away. But the persistent cacophony refused to relent, penetrating the sanctuary of my room. I resorted to covering my ears with my pillow, a feeble attempt to shield myself from the intrusive sounds. Deep down, I knew I couldn't hide in that position forever.

Suddenly, a jarring thud reverberated through the room, jolting me from my half-hearted refuge. Reluctantly, I pried my eyes open, but I remained steadfast in my resolve not to confront the source of the disturbance. If I didn't witness it,
I reasoned, perhaps I could stave off the fear that threatened to consume me. Out of sight, out of mind.

Yet, as the noise persisted and my curiosity grew, I realized that ignorance was not a solution. It was time to face whatever awaited me beyond the safety of my closed eyelids. I wrestled with my inner turmoil, seeking to quell the disturbance. With caution, I loosened my grip on my wrapper draped around me, inching my hands towards the nightstand in search of a flashlight. A realization struck me - the beam of light might inadvertently alert whatever mysterious presence lurked in the darkness. A surge of apprehension coursed through me, prompting me to abandon the idea altogether.

I slowly descended from my bed, the eerie atmosphere enveloping me as I groped my way towards the window on my right. In the absence of any illumination, my outstretched hand collided with the unforgiving edge of the bed frame, jolting me further. Vibrations coursed through my body incessantly, defying my attempts to regain control. Undeterred, I mustered the courage to approach the window, my curiosity outweighing the fear that gripped me. Carefully, I parted the curtains, ensuring they remained partially drawn to grant me a glimpse of the mysterious scene unfolding outside.

Peering through the narrow opening between the curtains, I scanned the backyard surroundings with the limited vision afforded by my solitary eye. The inky darkness stretched before me, revealing nothing out of the ordinary. The area lay deserted and engulfed in a profound stillness, as it often was during the late hours of the night. My attention was suddenly drawn to an anomaly that disrupted the familiar tranquility-our motion sensor-activated backyard light flickered to life, illuminating the desolate scene for a brief moment. The peculiarity of this occurrence struck me, for there was no one in sight to trigger its activation.

In a fleeting moment, my eye caught sight of a figure standing tall amidst the darkness, clutching an object that appeared indiscernible at first glance. They stood resolute, leaning against an unknown structure, adorned with stains. A shiver ran down my spine as fear gripped me, compelling me to retreat from the window. Despite the initial shock, a flicker of recognition surfaced within me- the figure I had glimpsed was none other than Daddy Oge. Temptation lured me to steal another glance outside, eager to ascertain his presence, but the apprehension of being discovered held me back.

Upon my best efforts, sleep eluded me as unsettling thoughts of Daddy Oge, drenched in bloodstains, haunted my mind. Just as I began to drift off, my room was abruptly illuminated by the sudden activation of the lightbulb. Assuming it was my sister entering the room to check on me, I opened my eyes, only to find myself alone. The room remained devoid of any presence besides myself. Puzzled, I surveyed my surroundings without lifting my head, but I came up empty. It hit me that I had simply forgotten to switch off the light, and its illumination had coincided with the return of power. Yet, just as quickly as it had come on, the light abruptly flickered out, leaving me startled and filled with an overwhelming sense of dread.

Caught in the disorienting chaos of the flickering lights, I yearned for respite and sought solace in the refuge of sleep. I shut my eyelids tightly, hoping to fend myself from the dance of the flickering illumination. Despite my efforts, the spectral light continued to penetrate my closed eyes, intensifying the unease within me. A chilling sensation overwhelmed me, rendering me motionless and helpless in the face of the inexplicable phenomenon unfolding before me.
With trembling hands, I slowly raised my wrapper, attempting to block my eyes from the disconcerting display. As the fabric encased my vision, the flashes of purple and black ceased abruptly. Everything fell into a profound stillness, leaving me to confront the enigmatic silence that lingered in the air.