Chapter Seven - His Muse

Taehyung spends a lot of his time in the courtyard. It's his favorite place in the university because it's a lot quieter there than the hallways or the classrooms. Taehyung has always valued these quiet moments because it gives him the time and peace of mind to think about many things going on in his life, and sometimes, if he's lucky, he even gets inspiration from those moments of silence.

Another thing that he loves about the courtyard is that it's just a beautiful place to be in. As someone obsessed with photography to the point where he even decided to study it in college, the courtyard is an excellent place to take beautiful photos. Most people there are just minding their own business and not staring at Taehyung with judgment in their eyes as if he's doing something illegal in public.

The scenery is gorgeous. The lighting is excellent. The colors are pleasing to look at. Taehyung loves every single part of it.

So today, because he has some free time for an hour and a half between classes, he decides to go to the courtyard and stay there for a while, maybe even take a few pictures if he's inspired enough.

Thankfully, the sun is out when he gets there. He always fears that it would rain and he would have to be stuck indoors with way too many people who are clearly agitated by the bad weather, talking loudly and making Taehyung's head hurt.

But that's not how it is today.

Today, it's a good day, and Taehyung will make the most of it - at least until he has to leave and attend his classes again, and in this case, one that he doesn't particularly enjoy because he shares it with some cocky people who always unintentionally ruins Taehyung's day just by existing.

Taehyung sits on an empty bench, away from the most crowded part, where a group of friends seems to be gathered. Taehyung is a bit annoyed that they're here and being loud when Taehyung considers this place as his safe haven in the university, but it's not like he can tell them to leave. He doesn't own the place. He's not authorized to do that. The best he can do is just ignore them and try to focus on his own thing, which is taking photos and admiring the view.

And that's precisely what Taehyung does. He tunes the loud conversations out and focuses on his camera, which he loves so much and is probably his most prized possession. He bought it himself because he wanted to study photography - he knew his parents wouldn't buy it for him. Taehyung had to work part-time during his last year in high school just to save up for this camera, which seemed stupid to his high school friends because Taehyung came from a moderately wealthy family who could definitely buy that camera for him without him having to lift a finger. But they were never supportive of the path he wanted to take, so Taehyung stubbornly did it himself. And he managed just fine. He's studying photography now, and he has the precious camera in his hands.

Taehyung sees some birds perched on the branch of a tree across from him, and he quickly snaps a few photos of them, smiling fondly as he looks at the pictures he took. They're not the best. He's not the best photography student, but he likes the photos, and that's what matters to him right now. This is not for homework or a project, or his portfolio. This is just for himself. He only has himself to please - this is what he reminds himself of every time so he wouldn't have any negative feelings upon seeing the photos he takes, which is always less than satisfying.

Taehyung lifts his camera again, trying to drown out his thoughts by focusing on the task at hand, and as he looks through the viewfinder, he realizes that his camera is still focused on the tree in front of him, but this time, he's not looking at the birds. No, this is very different from the birds. His camera is pointed at a man under the tree. The man is crouching and smiling softly as he pets a stray cat in front of him.