Crossing her arms, Ann continued. "Go ahead, laugh at me now. But didn't you also want to do something meaningful with your Gift when you were my age?"

"Not really. When I was seventeen, I married my high school sweetheart, and we were blessed with you. Family is true happiness. Once you have a loving husband and a child, you won't need much else to prove."

Her mother's story held a bittersweet quality. Yes, she had the joy of raising a daughter, but she had never ventured beyond the confines of Mountville or explored other opportunities. Would mom spend the rest of her life here, never knowing what lay beyond these mountains? Ann hesitated to voice this question aloud, knowing it would only upset her mother. Instead, she shifted her attention to the rain. The storm had weakened considerably. "Well, maybe you're right, and that life works for you."

"It works for all the women I know."

"But Uncle Greg believes that I can also make a difference and help people."

Her mother chuckled. "Alright, you can give it a try. Just promise me that you won't misuse your power. Playing with the forces of nature could lead to unintended consequences like floods or droughts."

"I'll be careful," Ann assured her. "I understand that nature is wise, and things must follow their natural course. Like the changing of seasons. I will only intervene in cases of danger."

"I hope you'll remember these words," her mother said with a lingering smile.

Ann sighed. Apparently, her attempts to make her mother believe in her potential as a mage were futile. However, she held onto the certainty that her uncle would support her. She couldn't wait to see him again and share the success of her mission. "Let's go now. We need to be home in time for dinner."

"Right. We're expecting an important guest tonight," her mother added with a wink.

Ann frowned. Once again, she had to bring up John! This boy from her school seemed to follow her around like a persistent duckling, and she couldn't shake him off. "I can't wait to finish school and leave Mountville. Just so I never have to see him again."

"Why don't you give him a chance? He's a nice guy, and I can see how much he likes you."

"I only danced with him once at the winter ball. Am I supposed to marry him now?' Ann retorted.

"Maybe one day you will. Who knows?"

Ann shook her head with a tinge of regret. Sometimes, she wished she had never mentioned John to her mother. It seemed like she was trying to push her closer to him despite her lack of interest.

"Sweetie... why did you invite him tonight if you don't like him?" her mother questioned.

"Well, I invited all my friends, and it would be rude to leave him out," Ann explained. "But tonight, I'll talk to him and end this awkwardness."

Before her mother could object or try to dissuade her, Ann walked outside. The trail was slippery, but she hurried forward. The storm had passed, and the sun's rays illuminated the once-dark rocks, making them glisten like polished gems, reminiscent of the black diamond collection at Uncle Greg's house.

As the trail took a turn, a gust of wind struck Ann's face. Her foot slipped on a wet stone, and she barely managed to maintain her balance. "Be careful here!" Ann shouted, glancing back. Strangely, her mother was nowhere to be seen on the trail behind her. Her heart skipped a beat, sensing that something might have happened.

"Mom?" Ann called out, her voice echoing through the mountains.

Seconds passed, but there was no response. She stood alone on the trail, surrounded by the stillness of the mountains and the blowing wind.

Ann clenched the hem of her dress, her steps slow and cautious as she retraced her path. She tried to suppress her rising panic, but with each step, her anxiety grew, becoming almost unbearable when she reached the empty cave where they had sought shelter from the storm. Placing her palm against her chest, she felt her heart racing. It's alright, she reassured herself. Maybe she had simply gone back to the peak.

Ann climbed back up to the mountain peak where she had stood just half an hour ago, causing the storm with her newfound power. There, in that very spot, lay her mother's red shawl. The wind played with its corners as if teasing her.

"The pointless usage of power might have terrible consequences," her mother's words echoed in her memory. But now, she was nowhere to be found. Ann sank to her knees, clutching the shawl tightly. It held her mother's warmth and carried the scent of peonies, her favorite flowers.

In memory of Emily Storm, Ann's mother

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote

Thank you! 💖💖💖

P.S. Whoa, it's been a while since book 1, and I missed you, guys! It's new characters and a new investigation. I have 2 questions: how was your summer, and how do you like the new story?