14 | Feast of the Crimson Prince

Start from the beginning

"We're not here to discuss about my lineage, Solstice." I warned her and she just gave me a look. I was subtly scared how she can be aware of what's happening behind closed doors without even without hearing more about my life.

"Okay." She only replied before she gave me space.

"We're not going to drink blood, are we?" The werewolf boy came trudging in as he fixed the golden cufflinks of his wrists. His sister gasped before meeting him halfway, signing how great he looked.

He looked great and I, who was standing beside her, didn't get a single compliment from her? I scoffed and rolled my eyes at the unfair treatment I was receiving from Krian. The whole week she was holed up in the royal library with Solstice, reading books about the Children of the Night and would only come out when needed. She was still intimidated by me but slowly, I could see how she was trying to be close to me.

"How about me, Krian? Do I look good?" I asked, spreading my arms wide for her to see. She only nodded at me and gave me a thumbs up. Solstice broke out a fits of laughter while I wanted to give them all a "fuck you". Fucking werewolf boy was smirking at me too!

Taylor wore a royal suit with golden leaves embroidered in the black fabric. He had a royal blue sash across his body; the signature color his kind wears when on royal occasions. He had a golden belt on his waist and a sword on his left side. He was freshly shaven after the eventful week he had to protect his sister from maniacal humans who wanted them dead for some reason. However, even without his sash, he was clearly a werewolf with his bulky muscular figure and tall frame. Compared to werewolves, vampires are often built in the slender but still muscular frame.

"You look like a prince." Solstice added and I gave her a hateful look. I heard Krian sigh and slowly came to my side. Looking up to me, she began to wave her hand to talk to me.

"You look great with your royal coat on." She remarked and my heart felt lighter, a boost of confidence making me puff my chest up with pride.

"I can already hear his ears clapping happily from what she said." Taylor joked and I raised my middle finger again at him. Krian immediately grabbed my offensive hand and held it tight. She shook her head at me and then glared at her brother. I smiled in amusement. She clearly didn't want anyone fighting. I noticed from the past week I spent time with her that she didn't appreciate the foul words me and her brother would exchange and it was clear right now that she didn't like it.

She brushed against my chest, dusting off my royal suit that was more decorated than her brother's. A golden knot hung on my right chest, a tassel on its end. My applique on my shoulders complimented my broad shoulders and I always liked having those despite the heavy role it gave me. My clothes had hand-embroidered golden flowers that only existed in the kingdom.

"What is this?" She signed before pointing at the slender lily on my suit.

"Erythronium sibiricum." I told her about my favorite dark pink flower and her eyes twinkled. She only nodded at me before she stepped aside.

"Nothing is crooked, right?" I asked them and they all shook their heads no.

"Why can't you vampires use a mirror to see yourself?" Taylor asked out of curiosity.

"Do you want the scientific explanation or the more barbaric version?" I asked and right on cue, Solstice's face glowed with pure curiosity. Tell her something she can learn and she will digest everything in no time. I smiled at the thought. She can be a perfect vampire who wants to preserve knowledge like the Elders.

"Scientific version please." The red-haired girl requested.

"Like werewolves, we are weakened by silver but we are more prone to it than werewolves. Mirrors are laced with silver that's why our reflections cannot be shown in a mirror. Think of it this way. A person gets allergic to peanuts. The more exposed they are with the nuts, the more unrecognizable they are until they die. That's how it is with vampires and mirrors." I briefly explained and they all stared at me like I grew Satan's horns out of my head.