thirty three | and I can't let you go

ابدأ من البداية

I had to laugh. Who would've thought that Alana's brother would react this way? "You know you should be a good brother and defend your sister."

"What's good in that?" Miles scoffed, still having that smile on his face. "I always know my sister is a bitch, but other people — especially the pack members back home, don't seem to notice that. I'm just glad I found one more person who does."

"Whatever." I shook my head, repressing a smile. "Don't say I didn't warn you."

"Don't worry, if anything happens, it's my fault." He shrugged, still grinning. Although he became slightly nervous when he said, "Anyway, I want to ask if you'd like to go to this gathering with me."

"What gathering?" I asked, out of curiosity. Not that I'd go.

"Just a college party here in the Center." Miles scratched the back of his head nervously. "If you want to, I could pick you up this Friday night, then drop you home after the party."

"I'll think about it." His eyes looked so hopeful that I didn't have it in me to reject his offer on the spot. "If I decided to come, I'll let you know."

"Cool." He nodded, then caught my hand.

I didn't pull my hand because he didn't look like he'd bite it, but I eyed him suspiciously. "What are you doing?"

"I told you my name. What's yours?" His smile returned.

"Xyrra." Learning from last time, I didn't give my last name this time although now that I'd learned that 'Lancaster' wasn't even my real name, I felt that it would do no harm should I continue using it in an introduction like this.

"That's a beautiful name for a beautiful girl."

"Alright." I sighed, rolling my eyes. "Go now before your sister comes here and I run out of things to break."

He laughed but then let go of my hand and went to his sister, who was waiting next to a white city car. I moved away from the door but looked at him from behind the curtain. He looked over his shoulder at the boutique for one last time as if he knew I was there even though he couldn't possibly see me. He had that smile on his face, then he turned around and opened the car door.

I shook my head, knowing that I wouldn't go to Miles' college party this Friday. The last thing I needed was another distraction. I scoured the boutique and found Dav trying out some dresses that she claimed would look perfect for prom. She asked me to try on some dresses too. Since I didn't want to ruin her mood, I let her choose the dresses for me. About ten dresses later, we left the boutique. Dav was carrying three bags now — one was from the previous store where she'd bought the sweater and the tank top, while I carried one bag filled with only one black cocktail dress. My savings were running out, and I knew I should find a part-time job soon.

After I dropped Dav at her house, I headed to Eros's flat. Not that far from District 8 and fifteen minutes later, I'd already parked my bike in front of his building. I rang the doorbell next to the word 'E.A.' and waited. He didn't ring me so I pressed the doorbell again. After trying for the fifth time and with zero progress, I turned around and was ready to leave when the front door swung open. A middle-aged lady with blonde, nearly white hair came out. "Are you Xyrra Lancaster?"

I blinked. "Yes."

"Here is a note for you from Mr. Eros Adler." The woman pulled out a small envelope and handed it to me.

"Thank you." I held the envelope with both hands, then stopped the lady from going away. "Wait, do you know where he is? Is he at home?"

The lady shook her head. "He hasn't been home in a while. This came by mail the other day with a strict instruction to give it to Xyrra Lancaster who might come here looking for him."