𝟏.

Friday. It was finally Friday. This meant I only had 8 more hours of work until I could be off for the weekend.

It was a bit sad, actually. Every week was the same - I'd desperately count down the days to the end of the week, and then repeat the cycle come Monday. As I dug through my closet to find my uniform, I sighed, wishing I could just lay in bed today.

'It's only an 8 hour shift,' I tried to convince myself.

8 hours of torture - of dealing with pushy, rude customers who thought they understood how my job worked.

After having a much needed shower, I was out of the house. My uniform provided little warmth from the cold Irish weather. The wind blew into my jacket, my black slacks and white t-shirt doing nothing against the strong gusts of air. I didn't particularly enjoy being a waitress, but I needed money. After moving out when I had turned 18, it was something that had to be done to provide money for rent.

My best friend Alyssa lived with me, but even then affording the apartment was difficult.

I opened the door to the pub and made a beeline for the staff room. This place was how Alyssa and I met. She was off work today which was one of the main reasons I was dreading even coming in.

I pulled my phone out and sent Alyssa a text since I couldn't see her this morning. She always liked to sleep in when she wasn't in work; not that I blamed her. I'm the same.

- - -
imessage chat

ciara
mentally preparing for a day without you😓

lyssa
you got this. we can take my bike out for a ride after work x

ciara
yes please!
the only good thing about this place is the uniform

ciarayes please!the only good thing about this place is the uniform

lyssa
hot ;)

- - -

I put my phone on silent and slipped it into my apron, leaving my jacket and bag in the cloakroom before finally exiting. Only 8 hours. 8 hours of the same mundane things I do every shift; nothing would be different today.

My shift went by rather smoothly. It was still early in the day, so there weren't many regulars yet. They usually liked to come in later for drinks rather than dinner. By 3:30 I had only half an hour left before my break, so I began to quickly get out as many orders as I could. I was lucky it wasn't busy.

My eyes shifted to the door, hearing the familiar squeak of the hinges as it opened. A group of 4 walk in, three identical boys and a brunette girl. I made my way towards them to lead them to a table. I was thankful it wasn't fully booked today, because I didn't have the energy to be turning down customers.