The Departure

The war was over and so were the hopes of regaining Chittor. The Battle at Haldighati had robbed the Rana of all his wealth, and brave men, and bruised him for life. Trying to match up to Akbar or rather Raja Man Singh's army with one-third its strength had cost his bravery dearly. He had lost his friend and companion. He had brushed past death. The only good thing that this war ensured was that Akbar accepted that he cannot have Mewar. His army retreated and left the country in peace after almost two decades and seventeen wars. This war gave something else too. Kunwar Shakti came to help his brother in his time of need. He lived up to his brother's expectations of being loyal to his family.

A heavy-hearted Rana Pratap Singh was overseeing the construction work on his lost friend's memorial right where he died, trying to save his master. The Bronze statue of the life-like Chetak stood tall but was no match for the void Chetak had left behind. He was lost in his thoughts as he watched his eldest son, Kunwar Amar instructing the workers as his younger brother Kunwar Chand looked on. "We used to be like this, Bhai Shakti and me." He sighed. He had lost his family for the seat of Mewar. His brothers hated him, his stepmothers wished he were dead. But the love of his people kept him going.

The sound of a procession attracted his attention as he noticed a palanquin moving up the ridge to his camp. " Ajabde..." he murmured, displeased. Before leaving Chavand he had clearly instructed her to stay at the palace and rest as per the Vaidji's instructions. She was very weak, he had said. But Maharani Ajabde was not a soul to be lying down with an illness. Her ever-smiling face came out of the palanquin, a scared Jasobai in toe. The Chauhan Princess was very scared as she was supposed to stop the Maharani but failed.

"Rana Ji set the two tents where you wish to." Ajabde's voice was fully determined. " We are staying here until you go back with us."

" Ajabde, vaidji..."

" I tried to stop Jija." Jasobai almost sobbed.

" It's not her fault."

" I know that Ajabde."

He knew her too well. He stared in silence as they met the princes and looked after the arrangements. Kunwar Amar's marriage to the princess of Bundi was just a month away and sometimes looking at Ajabde he remembered the girl who used to watch him play with swords. Time flows like a river. He smiled watching the mother-son duo hug each other as Ajabde inspected some old wounds.

" Kunwar Amar is not your kid anymore, he is getting married next month, stop inspecting him like that!"

" Daaji Raaj is right Ranimaa." Kunwar Amar found an excuse to run away from this embarrassing concern she showed at times.

" No matter how big he becomes, I will always look after my child's wounds."

" Then, who will look after mine, Ajabde?"

" Kunwar Pratap you have so many wives, my son only has me." She knew very well how much he hated being reminded that she was not the only one.

" They are not you Ajabde, where is Jasobai?"

" See, you are asking me about her, she is at her tent, Go on." She purposely turned away as if she was busy. But he didn't leave. Instead, he walked up to her and held her hand.

" Are you alright Ajabde? Jasobai told me you fainted... and..."

" I am all right, they are just worried more because you scare them with your concern about me."

" They are not wrong if anything happens to you..."

" You will still have all your other wives." She tried to ignore his teary eyes with her laughter. They both knew she did not have much time left. At Least the Vaidji told him so, while she overheard it.