The Coronation

The prince was now the king. After his father's death his younger brother, the vain and cruel Kunwar Jagmal sieged the throne with the influence of his mother and Ranaji's favourite Queen, Rani Dheerbai, however, for the first time Mewar's subjects uprooted the king and made their favourite son and deserving heir the Rana of Mewar. A much reluctant Kunwar Pratap who did not want his father's last wish to go unfulfilled ascended the throne at Gogunda, not far from Udaipur, the new capital after the siege of Chittor. The love his subjects showed him made him vow his life for Mewar's independent rule against the Mughals. The humiliated Dheerbai and her son left the palace of Udaipur much to everyone's delight.
A week had passed since his ascendance and his mother was now the Patrani or the Rajmata of the family. One day as he was busy getting ready for court, two servants helping him with the official attire and turban, his mother walked in. Although she looked strong he could see the pain she felt at the loss of a husband and even more a friend and companion.
" What is it, Ranima? If you wanted to talk, you could have called me to your chambers." He turned around gesturing at the servants to leave them alone.
" I came to remind you of something important, Kunwar Pratap."
" What is it? Did I do something wrong?"
" No, but you have to make a decision."
He was clueless. She smiled. " You have to officially choose and announce who will be Mewar's Maharani. She will only be entitled to help you in stately affairs and have the right to sit with you in Pujas and Festivals and her son will be your heir."
Surprised he smiled, " You know my choice Ranima, and I think she is your choice too."
" I must tell you something, Kunwar Pratap. With the title comes a lot of things, jealousy may be an issue with the other queens, and they may hate Kunwar Amar. The other two are Princesses but Ajabde is not. That might be an issue for foreign rulers who wish to form alliances with us. We need to be practical and not emotional here."
" Rani ma, she may not be of Royal status but her patriotism and intelligence are far greater than Solankini Bai or Champa Bai or the others. Moreover, I don't want to share the rights of being my other half with anyone else. As far as the alliances are concerned, I assume they will not be affected."
They heard the noise of payel coming towards them and stopped their discussion. Ajab De entered the room, puja thali in hand, waving the smoke from the Dhunri across Pratap's room filling it with the heavenly smell and feel. Pratap's eyes followed her across the room and Jaivantabai left quietly. She turned around keeping her thali down and smiled at him.
" Kunwar Amar and you should be present in the court today." He told her blatantly.
" Why Kunwar Pratap? What is wrong?" Concern filled her eyes.
" Nothing. I just want you there."
"Should I call Solankhini and..."
" Did I tell you to Ajabde?"
" No... Am sorry, I .."
" You can call them if you want." He turned away to leave but she wanted to say something more.
" Can I send Solankini to do puja in your room tomorrow?" He suddenly lost his temper.
" Why? You can't do it yourself?"
" No I mean.. they have never been to your room and ..."
Pratap held her shoulder as she looked up from her stammering.
" They will not come to my room as they are not allowed to. They are not you. End of discussion. See you in court." He turned to leave but smiled back at her saying " Ajabde, now it's Ranaji for you."

Stunned Ajabde and saw him leave. She wanted all his wives to get all the rights she had, but clearly, he did not want it. At the court, Rana Pratap had something to announce. He called Kunwar Amar to his side as all the ladies witnessed the moment from behind the Jharokha. " Today, I have an important announcement to make. I want to declare Kunwar Amar Singh, my first child and son of Maharani Ajabde Punwar as heir to the throne. With this, I want to announce separately that after Rani ma, Ajab De will now be Maharani of Mewar and my chief consort."
The court cheered their Queen and Prince as Kunwar Amar received the royal turban and sword. Pratap saw himself in the thirteen-year-old Amar. Ajabde was called to court, and she appeared beside him, her face hidden by her dupatta, as she whispered, " Kunwar Pratap?"
" Rana..."
" Are you sure that I...?"
" Yes Ajabde, and listen..."
" What?"
" Always call me Kunwar Pratap."
" Why?" She looked at his beaming face from her dupatta, surprised at his request.
" Because you remind me of the beautiful journey we have had and I always want to be that person for you, the one you stammered to see at the palace balcony of Bijolia fifteen years ago." He could feel her blush behind the veil, as they stood together, side by side, witnessing Amar's ceremony of being the crown prince and future of Mewar.