Chapter 33

A sea of hastily arranged demigods parted for them as they walked through the forum. Some looked tense, some nervous. Some were bandaged from their recent battle with the giants, but no one was armed. No one attacked. Entire families had gathered to see the newcomers- couples with toddlers hanging to their feet, and even some elders. They couldn't all be demigods, could they? It surprised her a great deal the fact that the Romans had a fully operating community that circled full life spans, while at Camp Half-Blood, if demigods made it past the age of 18, they either became councilors or tried to live a life of peace far far away from other demigods and monsters.

At the far end of the crowd, Freya spotted her brother Tyson, and Percy's hellhound, Mrs. O'Leary—who had been the first scouting party from Camp Half-Blood to reach Camp Jupiter. They looked to be in good spirits. Tyson waved and grinned. He was wearing an SPQR banner like a giant bib. Her heart filled with joy watching him, and was glad that she was about to see both her brothers in one day.

In front of her, the demigods made way for a girl in full Roman armor and a purple cape. Dark hair tumbled across her shoulders. Her eyes were as black as obsidian. She had to be Reyna, Freya realized. Jason had described her well, but even without his help, she would of singled her out as the leader. Medals decorated her armor, and she carried herself with the confidence of someone who knew she was in charge. Freya cast a glance at Annabeth as she and Reyna considered each other. Freya noticed similarities in the two girls that only came from being the designated leaders; the hard lines of their faces, the forced look of courage and the hidden anticipation that they couldn't show in public.

Freya slid up next to Annabeth, and Jason did the same to her, followed by Piper and Leo doing the same to him. The moment he made himself seen, the Romans murmured Jason's name, staring in awe and pointing. Freya hadn't noticed it at first, but as the seconds went by, she couldn't help but see that quite a few of the Romans were staring at her too, their gazes darting between her and Percy, as if realizing they might be related.

We're twins, Freya thought. Of course we look the same.

Then another thought hit her. Percy was here. He was next to Reyna with the other two demigods she'd seen when they were still on the ship. He caught her gaze, and his face light up. Freya grinned and gave him a little wave. She knew she couldn't hold his attention for long though- not with Annabeth here anyway, and as she looked at her brother's face, she saw the longing on it as he started at his girlfriend.

The praetor Reyna straightened. With apparent reluctance, she turned toward Jason. "Jason Grace, my former colleague..." She spoke the word colleague like it was a dangerous thing. "I welcome you home. And these, your friends—"

Suddenly, Annabeth and Percy surged towards each other at the same time so fast Freya didn't even see Annabeth move from next to her. The crowd tensed, and some reached for swords that weren't there, but they didn't have to- because the next thing they knew, Annabeth and Percy were kissing.

Percy pulled back and stared at her as though she was the most amazing thing in the world. "Gods I never thought-"

Annabeth grabbed his wrist and flipped him over her shoulder. He slammed into the stone pavement. Freya had to stifle the abrupt laughter bubbling in her throat. Romans cried out. Some surged forward, but Reyna shouted, "Hold! Stand down!"

Annabeth put her knee on Percy's chest. She pushed her forearm against his throat. "If you ever leave me again," she said, her eyes stinging, "I swear to all the gods—"

Percy started to laugh, the adoration on his face from earlier not faded. "Consider me warned," He said. "I missed you, too."

Annabeth rose and helped him to his feet.