"You ran out of the gym on Friday and haven't answered my calls or texts, and you didn't show up to your session today," he rushes out, anxious. His eyes finally peer up at mine. "Is something wrong? Is it something I did?" His voice is surprisingly soft, worried, his eyes matching his tone.

"I—" The words get clogged in my throat, and I shake my head, dumbfounded.

"You weren't even at the competition on Saturday," he continues. "Are you avoiding me? If I made you feel uncomfortable in any way, I'm sorry," he apologizes earnestly.

I shake my head again, still trying to wrap my head around everything. Is he seriously this concerned if he upset me? "No—I... it's not you," I admit.

"What is it?" he asks gently.

My cheeks heat with embarrassment, not knowing how to explain everything that happened to him; from why I freaked out on him to finding out Eli was cheating on me.

"I... it's Eli," I confess reluctantly, his name tasting like acid on my tongue.

At the mention of his name, Rhodes tenses, his jaw clinching, eyes darkening. What did he do?" His voice is low, threatening, and those steely eyes sweep over me from head to toe, making me self-conscious.

I tightly wrap my arms around myself, embarrassed. No, mortified. I'm still in the same gym clothes I stormed out in, I haven't showered or gotten out of bed in days, and I can only imagine how wrecked my face and hair looks.

I swallow thickly, too ashamed to look him in the eyes as I say the words. "I—he..." I scrub a hand down my face, thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed. "I found out Eli has been cheating on me."

Rhodes let's out a sharp and low curse, and I finally peer up at him. His jaw is set as he rakes a rough hand through his black hair. He looks angry but not necessarily surprised. His eyes snap to mine and I nearly gasp at their intensity. "When?"

My arms instinctively wrap tighter around my body. "Friday night after I left. I went to his gym and saw him making out with some brunette."

"Fuck," he curses, abruptly pushing away from the table, the legs of the chair screeching against the floor, making me flinch.

He laces his hands together, elbows on his knees and head bowed. His right leg bounces restlessly. "Fuck. I should have punched him harder," mutters lowly, regretfully.

I still. "Punch who?" I ask, but I think I already know the answer.

"That bastard," he mutters under his breath.

"What?" I worry.

"Don't worry, his eye is much worse," he assures. "But I should have just messed his whole fucking face up."

I shake my head in disbelief. "You punched Eli at the competition?" I ask, knowing the two spoke then and that's how Eli found out Rhodes was my trainer.

"Just an hour ago," he admits gruffly.

"You what?" I shriek.

Rhodes clinches his jaw. " You didn't show up to our session and I got worried. I showed up to your house to make sure you were alright and he answered the door and we... got into it. He eventually told me where he thought you were, so here I am."

I stand with my mouth agape, stunned.

"Listen, Claire, I know showing up here is probably insane, but I was genuinely worried. I thought you didn't come back to the gym because of me, because you were mad at me for touching you..." he trails off, almost embarrassed. "I don't want you to feel uncomfortable and give up because of me."

I shake my head. "No, I—that's not it. I'm not coming back to the gym anytime soon, but it's not because of you. Everything's just..." I shrug my shoulders helplessly.

Rhodes frowns. You're not coming back to the gym?"

I shake my head. "I was only doing it for Eli, anyway. And now that he's out of the picture..." I shrug again, sad and embarrassed.

Rhodes shakes his head. "No, Claire. Don't give up because of that asshole. That's exactly what he wants. Don't give him the satisfaction."

I sigh. "I don't know..." I admit, tired and unmotivated.

Rhodes shakes his head again, determined. "Don't let him win," he says firmly. "Do this for yourself. Go on this journey and feel better for yourself. Show that asshole you can do way better without him."

I nibble at my bottom lip, contemplating. If Katie was here, she'd tell me to go full blown Carrie Underwood "Before He Cheats" on Eli's ass, but I guess a revenge body is the next best thing.

A sudden spark of determination ignites inside of me, and I'm ready to make Eli regret ever giving up and cheating on me. I'm not going to let him win, and I'm certainly not going to let him be right anymore. It's time for me to pick myself up and get my shit together.

I slowly nod, more sure of myself. "Okay, let's do this," I say, my voice only a little timid.

Rhodes gives me a proud smile. "Let's do this," he confirms, just as determined.