Chapter 7: Hospital Dilemma

Start from the beginning

"Finding food. Otherwise, I wouldn't show up." He said as he carelessly threw out a jar or strawberry jelly from the cabinet. I scurry to catch it as it was about to hit the ground. I wouldn't want jelly all over the floor. I just mopped it two days ago!

"Be careful! You're making a mess!" I scolded him, but it came out to be more of a plead as I wouldn't want to annoy him. He stopped raiding the cabinets and scoffed. "Whats the point in cleaning up if it keeps getting messy? It's not like you can keep it clean forever." He stated. "Make me breakfast then, if you don't want me to mess up." He walked past me and sat down a chair before the table. How rude.

"Fine. But you're gonna have to learn how to cook for yourself next time. I'm not always gonna be here." I agreed, starting to cook breakfast. "You okay with pancakes?" I asked him. He just waved his hand at me dismissively, I took that as a form of a yes. So I started to cook.

"(Y/N). Who is this 'friend' of yours again?" He asked out of the blue. It sounds foreign to hear him say my name. Well, lots of people say my name. Big deal.

"His name is James. We've been friends since we were young, I dunno when it started exactly, but maybe around kindergarten. As I told you last night, he was the friend who needed help. He got shot and hit is head on a rock. I hope he's alright." I answered. BEN slammed his fist into the table.

"Um.." Was it something I said? BEN was acting like an angry bull. His finger nails dug in the table sheets and he was twitching a little bit. But despite that, he still tried to maintain his composure.

"This 'James'. What's his last name?" He asked curiously and edgy. Almost cautiously. As if he knows what the answer would be but refuses to accept it.

"Ivory" I answered. BEN cursed under his breath. "I fuckin' knew it." He hissed. "What do you mean? Do you know him??" I asked.

Breakfast for me continued. BEN didn't touch the food I made anyway. He was waiting impatiently. He asked me if he could borrow some clothes, so I gave him some of dads'. Everyone will stare if they see him in the mental institution-like clothes he had worn. He waited out the front door right now. Sigh. I guess all these pancakes are to be eaten later.

"I want to come with you to the hospital. Explain what happened." BEN simply said. Good. I don't wanna lie to James.. He knows when I do. It'll jeopardize the situation. BEN didn't say anything else after breakfast, just stared at me like I was some sort of peculiarity. No, he didn't seem to be 'disgusted' but more curious about me.

Little did I know, he had other intentions.

***

"What's in your mind?" I started to talk to BEN. I really couldn't stand the silence. I'm used to talking to James a lot. And with this boy, it's just plain silence. He didn't answer my question. He was quiet all the way there.

After a few more minutes of walking, we got to the front desk and asked where James was. They said he was confined to room 201. I thanked them and turned around to check on BEN.

"Let's go." I told BEN. We went up to a flight of stairs. People around us were tending to each other. Some were in wheel chairs, some had dextrose tubes attached to them, and some are just visitors or nurses. James is supposed to be in the 4th floor.

"You know, BEN, if you keep staring like I just grew two heads you might as well tell me why you're doing that. " I told him. "It doesn't concern you. Ignore me and focus at the task at hand." He said.