𝗑𝗑𝗂𝗂.

𝘛𝘞𝘌𝘕𝘛𝘠-𝘛𝘞𝘖

        SPENDING THE NIGHT WITH THE boy or girl you had mated with was another integral part of Metkayina tradition. When morning came, the couple would go their separate mauri pods to inform their family members, in the hopes that their pairing would be accepted by their mothers and fathers.

        Seylu woke up in Neteyam's strong arms, her back pressed to his chest. She smiled, hearing his steady breathing. Seylu slowly rolled over until she was facing Neteyam, who was still fast asleep. The sun was shining, and Seylu knew the morning hunt was occurring right then.

        She analyzed Neteyam's face—her mate's face—while he slept, memorizing every part of him. Seylu could see him clearly now, due to the daylight and their close proximity. She traced his freckles, his patterned stripes, everything, fighting to remember it all.

        Neteyam tugged Seylu closer in his sleep, and she smiled, pressing a soft kiss to his shoulder as he began to stir. Neteyam opened his eyes, blinking twice to be sure that he wasn't dreaming, and that Seylu was truly in his grasp. "Good morning." Neteyam spoke, voice rough and low.

        "Good morning," Seylu returned, Neteyam's hand brushing through her unruly curls. "It is nice to not be on the hunt right now." she smiled, tracing Neteyam's stripes with her fingers.

        "Are your parents going to worry about you because you didn't go home last night?" Neteyam asked a few moments later, sitting up on the sand.

        Seylu joined him, combing her fingers through her hair. "They know I went to the Spirit Tree. When I was younger, Nori and I used to camp out on one of these beaches instead of going home in the dark. That's probably what they assume I did." Seylu answered, head on Neteyam's blue shoulder. The boy smiled at her mention of Nori.

        Neteyam nodded. "I told my parents. About us." he said, playing with the soft sand they sat on.

"Were they alright with it?" Seylu questioned as she glanced up at Neteyam, his eyes landing on her seconds later.

He nodded again. "They had no problems, besides just warning me to be good to you. I think they were more worried about your parents' reactions." Neteyam spoke, dropping a pile of sand on Seylu's feet, making her smile.

"We are to get our own mauri." Seylu said out of the blue, her smile widening.

Neteyam smiled too, standing and pulling Seylu to her feet by her hands. "Oh, yeah? Just for us?" he teased, holding Seylu by her waist.

She nodded. "We will cook together, and craft together, and rest together. We will use my hammock, I have almost finished it." Seylu quickly spoke in Na'vi after, excitedly telling Neteyam all the things they would do in their language.

With a gentle hand covering her mouth, Neteyam chuckled at her excitement. "I can't wait. We should get a mauri right by the ocean." The boy suggested, uncovering Seylu's mouth.

She nodded, pecking Neteyam's lips twice, before she walked away. Neteyam followed Seylu as she walked down the beach, knee deep in the water, calling for Ouali.

        The animal swam over and Seylu walked to him, greeting her tsurak and mounting him. Neteyam settled behind her, gently pulling her chin around, placing a kiss on Seylu's lips. She smiled, kissing him once more before she turned around, telling Ouali to dive.

        Neteyam held her tightly as her mount soared through the water, helping her off of him when he reached the netting. Seylu placed her hands on his chest. "I will see you around midday. I have to speak to my mother and father." Seylu said, her hand instinctively swiping Neteyam's braids behind his ears.