𝗂𝗏.

𝘍𝘖𝘜𝘙

        THE SENSE OF SIGHT WAS something Seylu had struggled with since she was young, merely nine years old. She wasn't always partially blind, it happened during an accident with a dangerous flying animal. Now, though, her once blue eyes were grey and cloudly, distinct claw marks tracing the skin around the eyes and the eyes themselves.

        Seylu had to trust others to help her, such as Ouali. He guided her in their flights, his sounds explaining what was around them. She relied on repetition. She knew where the heart of every type of water animal was, and she knew their defenses, so she was able to hunt, despite her impediment.

        She knew the ocean well, and she knew where her father was that day. Seylu dismounted Ouali as he landed in the ocean, sending the irritated tsurak away. Jake Sully was attempting to ride a tsurak. Tonowari and two other hunters were holding the animal as Jake Sully began to make the bond.

        "Ah, my daughter. Come, this is your speciality." Tonowari said, beckoning Seylu over. She walked to her father's side, sending a nod to Jake Sully, her hand on the tsurak's face. She didn't realize she nodded in the wrong direction, until her father redirected her.

        The tsurak hissed at Seylu, recognizing her as the one who fed him extra treats the other day. "Hello to you, too." Seylu said, stroking the animal's neck.

        Jake made the bond, and the tsurak jerked his body uncomfortably. "This is a warrior's mount. Not easy to master," said Tonowari as Jake Sully climbed onto the animal. "Perhaps you should start with an ilu."

        The tsurak shrieked and Jake shook his head. "Nah, this one." Seylu and another hunter held the tsurak's head still as Jake wrapped his hand around the saddle with a leather bind.

        "You must have a good position when you dive back in. It is very important." Seylu said to the man, shushing the angry animal.

        "Uh-huh," Jake said, tightening the bind. Seylu rolled her eyes at his disregard for her warnings. He looked at her and her father. "I got this." Seylu and Tonowari held the same expression, and Jake called to the tsurak, getting it moving.

        "Why do I feel like he does not got this?" Seylu said to Tonowari as the tsurak began to fly, wings open.

        Tonowari sighed, arm wrapping around Seylu's strong shoulders. One of the hunters laughed as they witnessed the inconsistent flying pattern of the tsurak. It wasn't a surprise that Jake lost control of the tsurak when they dove beneath the water, and the warriors laughed at the sight while the father and daughter winced.

        The tsurak flew away, and Seylu bid her father goodbye, calling for her ilu. She came over quickly, and Seylu climbed on, making the bond. She joined her sister and the Sully brothers in the deep sea later that day, the four of them chasing each other around on their ilus. She relied on Tsireya, following her figure.

        Seylu found herself swimming with Neteyam, smiling widely as their ilus played with each other. Neteyam smiled too, noticing the brightness of Seylu's clouded eyes when she smiled. They followed Tsireya and Lo'ak up to the surface. "You are learning to breathe." Tsireya smiled.

        "It is a difficult task, and you are doing well." Seylu praised the brothers, leading them back to the village.

        They left their ilus in the water and climbed onto the roping of the village surface. Tsireya quickly walked away to help their mother, and Seylu was left walking with Lo'ak and Neteyam. They talked among themselves, Seylu mostly answering their questions.

        The group of four little children Seylu had begun teaching found their way to her, calling her name rapidly. She knelt in front of them, her eyes scanning the three boys and little girl as best as they could. "Seylu, we found a good spot!" said the youngest boy.

        "You did? Where is it?" Seylu asked, and the two brothers could hear the smile in her voice.

        "By the cove!" another boy said, pointing to the direction of said cove.

        Seylu smiled. "Should we go check it out?" she asked, knowing that they would.

        "Yes! We brought our supplies!" the sole little girl said, gesturing to the weapons they held and the waist bags they wore.

        "Lead the way, then," Seylu said, standing up. The children rushed over to the cove, and Seylu turned to Lo'ak and Neteyam. "You know the way back?" she asked.

      Lo'ak and Neteyam nodded. "Do you teach them?" Lo'ak asked, pointing to the four Metkayina children.

        "Yes, I have been starting to. I will see you tomorrow." Seylu said, accent thick, and the boys bid her goodbye. She started walking away after the children, when she was stopped.

        "Seylu, can I talk to you for a minute" Neteyam asked, hand brushing her arm. There it was again, the spark of a feeling that did not belong to her. She ignored it.

        Seylu turned around, fighting to find his face before he noticed her struggles. "Of course." she spoke, head an inch higher than Neteyam's.

       Neteyam hesitated for a second before he spoke. "Do you think you could teach me sign language? I want to learn." Neteyam said, hearing Lo'ak chuckle behind him.

        "If you want to learn, I would be willing to teach you. In a week's time, I will collect you as the sun shines its first light." Seylu instructed, and Neteyam nodded.

        She walked away for real this time, arriving at the cove to help the children hunt for the first time. Days later, Seylu flew alongside Tonowari and Jake Sully as he flew on his tsurak successfully.

        Seylu smiled at him, and he nodded back to her. She attended the harvest with her mother, swimming alongside her and helping her collect the fruits. Ronal helped her swim in the dark, holding her daughter close to her side. Seylu added a bead to her songcord that night as she sat on her mat. It represented the arrival of the Sully family.

꧁꧂༺༻꧁꧂