"I've been great too, Jackie" He answered, sending me a quick look "Thank you for asking"

We had been on the road for over an hour, and I was almost falling asleep when my phone started to ring. I winced when I saw who was calling and picked up.

"Where are you?" Mallory asked me, her tone a mix of confusion and despair.

"I had to leave earlier"

"Why didn't you wake us up?" She complained "We wanted to say goodbye"

"I didn't want to disrupt your sleep"

There were a few seconds of silence before she talked again.

"Alright, but call me when you get there, okay?" She requested "I don't want you to disappear on me. If you do, I'll stop by father's house, and I mean it"

"I won't disappear" I promised her "Tell everyone I said hi" I pursed my lips "I miss you guys already"

"We miss you too" She replied "We love you, Jack"

My heart skipped a beat.

"I love you too" And I really did.

We exchanged a few more words before Mallory had to finish packing their bags. I wished them a good trip and hung up, seeing I had two text messages from Jeovanni.

From Jeo❤️:
good morning❤️
are you on the road already?

To Jeo❤️:
Yes.
I'll text you when I get there.

From Jeo❤️:
you better
i miss you

To Jeo❤️:
We saw each other yesterday.

I debated with myself if I should send him the next message, quickly coming to the decision to send it. Jeovanni was my boyfriend. There were some things that made no sense for me to feel embarrassed to tell him.

To Jeo❤️:
But I miss you too

From Jeo❤️:
💚

I ended up sleeping for the rest of the trip, only waking up when Radesh nudged me. I opened my eyes slowly, and I felt as if my body had paralyzed when I saw why we stopped.

"We're here" Radesh said, opening his door "I'll help you with your bags"

"No" I quickly left the car as well, following him to the trunk "I'll get it"

"But they're too heavy" He contested.

"I'll get it" I repeated, grabbing each bag with one hand and slinging them over my shoulders "It's okay"

"Your back is gonna hurt" He protested.

"It's fine" I insisted "Thank you again, Radesh. I'll see you in a couple of days"

We waved each other goodbye and I got into my father's house. The place hadn't changed. I had lived here for almost eighteen years of my life, but it still seemed so strange to me. So... foreign. It was too big, too black and white, too quiet.

On my way to my room, I caught sight of Angela doing the dishes in the kitchen. I stopped by the doorway and looked at her for a moment. There had been years since I last spoke to Angela. She was here most part of the day, but I began to be rude and ignore her when I was twelve years old. And she had no choice but to accept it.

"Hi"

She turned around at the sound of my voice, and she furrowed her eyebrows slightly, looking to her sides, as if to guarantee I was indeed talking to her. When she found no one else in the room, she glanced at me again.