Chapter One

Xavier SmithGrady Hospital, Atlanta, GA12: 21 PM—

Xavier Smith
Grady Hospital, Atlanta, GA
12: 21 PM

Today has been a particularly hard one for Xavier.

He's been ripping and running all around the hospital because folks don't know nothing about caution. An exceedingly long sigh slipped from in between his lips as he quickly finished up the snitches.

A child, around 11, was rushed into the hospital an hour ago. He was playing basketball in the school gym and tripped over his own feet. That caused him to fall head first into the hard polished wood floors. When he was entered into the hospital, he was clinging onto a thread of conscious. The open gash was starting to make him slip due to the blood lost.

Dr. Smith was called over into the operating room, and prepared to stich the gash shut. Anesthesiologist had already put him under, so he didn't have to wait to long to proceed.

The child's parents arrived in the middle of the operation with tear filled eyes. This reminded Xavier to call his mama after his shift ended.

"Yes mama, I promise Ima come see you later this week." Xavier let out an exhausted sigh, "No ma'am, I'm just a little tired because of work."

"I told you to quit that damn job. They got u workin' like a dog up there, and it's not good for your health baby." His mama complained.

"Aight mama...Ima call you later. Finna head back home. Love you."

"Love you too, Xay."

The phone beeped; signifying that his mother had hung up. He let out another sigh before starting his car up and driving off.

The traffic was horrible considering it was a Tuesday, but when has Atlanta traffic ever been good. It took him 10 minutes longer than usual because people can't drive for nothing, and somebody got into an accident. Again...

When he did arrive at his apartment, he was greeted with an abundance of meows and purrs from
his adorable Ragdoll cat, Stella.

Stella has always been the highlight of his day, especially when it was a particularly hard one.

Other than the little furball, the house was quiet and empty. It made his heart ache a little. He couldn't handle being single anymore, but he definitely couldn't handle a relationship right now. Too much worry and too much effort.

His last relationship was horrible. Xavier wasn't able to supply her with the daily reassurance she needed. It was entirely too much for him to handle along with his job and other problems, so they went their separate ways.