Chapter 18

Allie's POV

The next few days go by in a continuous blur.

I gave Thomas the simple tour, and we mostly hang out. Talking about things, trying to figure stuff out.

I really miss Madi and I's friendship. It was the best. We did exactly what Thomas and I are doing now. We could tell each other anything.

Now it seems like a war. Minho and Madi against Thomas and I.

I'm so done with all of us being slintheads towards each other.

We should be planning our escape out of here. Not one hundred different ways to kill each other.

Whatever.

MADI POV

Thomas.

He is here.

LORD HELP US ALL!

Thomas being here is not good.

Thomas being here means a huge change.

Thomas being here means we are gonna die.

Or forget each other.

Or he is gonna recognize me as his sister and hate me.

I don't know, I just don't like him being here. It's unsettling.

The past few days it's like there had been a war between Allie and Thomas v.s. Minho and I. I feel bad for Minho. He didn't get a proper introduction into this place. We just yelled at him to do stuff and he went along.

Oops.

He had basically taken care of me too. Since Thomas has gotten here, I haven't been feeling good or even been myself. I've been avoiding Allie and Thomas walking around and talking like Allie and I used to do at all costs. I even jumped on Minho's back once and pretended to be asleep.

Allie's POV

As the days go on, things between the four of us continue to get tenser.

We eat at different times, walk around at different times, we're never near each other and it's annoying the shuck out of me.

I feel like my only friend is Thomas.

Thomas and I sit on the ground, and eat some of the chicken, rice, apples and water that came in the box.

It's silent for a while as we watch the sky and eat.

"Doesn't this place ever seem artificial to you?" Thomas asks as he bites a chunk out of an apple.

"Are you kidding?" I ask. "Artificial is the one word I would use to describe this shuck place.

He laughs and I start to laugh.

"If that girl, Madi, is my sister, why won't she speak to me?" He asks after we finish laughing and sit in silence for a few moments.

"Because she's a shuck face." I say with seriousness.

"No, really. Why do you think she seems to hate me?" He asks.

"Maybe she's scared. Or she just doesn't like that you hang out with me so she won't hang out with you." I shrug.

"Oh..." He trails off.

"Come on." I get up seeing he finished his food. "Let's go wash the dishes."

"Okay." He gets up and grabs my hand.

I smile at him, and we walk to the kitchen.

~

We scrub the dishes and put them on the counter to use later.

No sign of Minho or Madi all day. Can't say I'm complaining at this point. Thomas is great company.

After we put the dishes on the counter, we walk outside.

"What do you want to do now?" Thomas asks.

I look him right in the eye. "Race."

Before he even agrees I'm running away.

"SUCKER!" I yell while he registers what's happening and starts to run.

I speed up as fast as I can, but Thomas is faster.

I beat him for a few minutes, but then he catches up.

He reaches his arms out and picks me up.

He tries to slow and fails.

We both fall on the ground practically skidding.

Thomas gets up and looks at me with concerned eyes.

"Oh god. Are you okay?!"

"I'm fine." I respond.

I touch my forehead and look at my hand to reveal blood.

"C'mon, I'll carry you to the infirmary." Thomas offers.

"I'll be fine." I say.

I get up and as soon as my weight gets put on my left foot, I collapse.

"Oh shit." I clutch my ankle. "I think I might have twisted it."

"I'm carrying you." Thomas insists.

"Fine." I mutter. I don't like people doing stuff for me.

As soon as he picks me up, I look at his face. He has a cut on his forehead and his cheek.

He doesn't really notice.

I lift my hand up, and wipe away the blood that are coming out of the cuts.

He looks down at me. "Thanks."

"No problem." I smile.

We reach the infirmary and he sets me on the table.

"I'm gonna go look for Madi and Minho. I don't really know what I'm doing." He says with a blush.

"Okay. I'll be here."

He leaves and I rest my head.

I wait for a minute. Then two. Then three. Then I hear it.

A loud scream coming from that oh-so-familiar voice. Thomas.

"THOMAS?!" I yell. "THOMAS?!??"

I can't move. What am I going to do?!