Chapter Five: Space Jam

I was on my way home from the studio. I'm glad I didn't have to be there that long. I told them no, we needed a break to relax. I'm supposed to attend a party tonight, but I am with Tiffany. I would like to know if I want to go. I'm not a party-type person. I like to stay at home.

I walked into the apartment and saw the red light flashing from the answering machine, so I pushed the button to listen to the calls.

"Hey, Rayne, remember the party tonight. No backing out. I will pick you up at eight, so be ready."

"Rayne, I need you in the studio as soon as possible. Call me back, Chris."

"Hey Rayne, I'll be in town this weekend. My flight lands tomorrow, so I should be there sometime around two. Love ya."

I smiled at the last message. My brother was visiting me, so he was healthy enough to fly in. I can't wait to see him. I hardly ever see him since I'm so busy working to help pay his hospital bills.

I picked up the phone to call Chris back, letting him know that I was officially taking a day off. For some reason, he thinks I work for him twenty-four-seven. I can't stand him at times.

"Look, Chris, I can't."

"Come on, Rayne, I can't finish this without you."

I thought about it for a moment. If I do help Chris, I can get out of this party. I glanced towards the door because I heard the nob turning.

"Rayne, are you still there?" I heard Chris yell out through the phone.

"Yes, it's just that." I was cut off by Tiffany yelling my name.

"Rayne!"

"Tiffany, I'm on the phone."

"Hey, Chris!"

She yelled as she walked into the room. She knows Chris can't stand her. I don't even know why Chris will never tell me. It comes off as playful banter, but he dislikes her. Tiffany acts like he's playing with her when they go back and forth, but that's not the case.

I will never know what went on between them. I asked Chris once, and he told me it was not my business, so I left it alone. When they met, I brought Tiffany to one of my studio sessions. We had a big test for one of our one-time classes back in the day.

It was my first time working with Chris, and I was super nervous to be working with him. I didn't know much about him besides a few songs he sang. I never listened to him. I was surprised he wanted to work with me because I have yet to work with many people.

Also, I wasn't a fan of his music, so I didn't think I could give any input on what he would want in a song. There he was when we walked into the room. I had already given Tiffany a pep talk before we entered the room that this job was for me and to act professionally.

All I remember from their interaction when I introduced them was that Chris had this funny look on his face for a split second, then smiled. I pay attention to everything, so I caught it, but Tiffany didn't. I remember it because I thought it was weird he had never met her before.

I thought they were cool because I hung out with him and Tiffany several times afterward. One day, we were at his crib watching TV, and he just blurted out, "Why are you friends with her."

I was stunned. I answered him and asked him why. That's when he told me he couldn't stand her. He never told me why. After that, he told her he didn't mess with her like that. They bicker every time they see each other, too.

"How did you even know it was him?

"Because the big lemon head is always calling." I heard Chris sign on the phone.