Chapter One: Studio Flow

I was in the studio working on songs for a new artist that my producer friend Jay wanted me to write for. I think the kid is going to last only a short time. She sucks at singing like really bad. 

I usually will not waste my time writing for sucky people, but he wants me to because he needs a hit to sell to the recorded producers, and I'm the best writer he knows. She will be like the other people I've seen in the industry. Have one good song, have everyone talk about how much they love it, come out with another one, and start to fade away in the background when the next hot song comes out: a one-hit-wonder. 

"Hey Rayne, you ready." 

"Yeah, well, I got a hook." 

"You've been in here for an hour, and all you have is a hook." 

"It doesn't always come easy to me, and besides, it's hard writing a song for someone who can't sing."

"Look, Rayne, she can a little, let's just say she has potential." 

"Right, Jay." 

"Just watch; she's going to be the next Beyonce." 

"Beyonce can't even be the next Beyonce." 

"Whatever, let me see what you got." 

The look on his face made me guess he wasn't happy. 

"Really." 

"What's wrong." 

"This is the best you could do." 

"What's wrong with the song," I said, growing angry, snatching my notebook from him. 

"Rayne, it's alright, but I've seen you do much better." 

"Well, if she had more talent, I could give her something else to work with, but I'm not. Besides, the record company is looking for something catchy, nothing deep and emotional." 

"Fine, then this will have to do."

He left the room to get the girl. They returned to the room, and she just had this attitude for no reason. She needs to calm all that down before she ends her career before it even starts, even though it's not going to be a long one. 

I don't get it. These girls get a fantastic opportunity like this and mess it up by having attitudes and sleeping for records. Most girls don't know that producers are selling lies and a dream. 

As for me, I would kill for an opportunity like this. However, most people only see me as a writer. Besides work, school, and my family, I am still determining how I can have the time to have that career. Not yet, anyway. 

Music has always been a passion of mine. I grew up listening to the greats, such as Nat King Cole and Ella Fitzgerald, down to The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, The Pointer Sisters, and the Jackson Five: old-school soul, RNB, and pop black artists. Michael Jackson, hands down, is my favorite of all time. 

Classical music is my favorite. That is what got me into writing. I learned how to compose and read music. Since I loved writing, whether poetry or a short story, they have just gone hand in hand.

My father was the one who got me into music. I will forever be thankful for him. 

"Look, Cassidy, you need to cut all that out before I send you home, and you won't be laying anything down." 

"I'm sorry. I want everything to be right." 

She said, walking up to him and grabbing him. Well, that's how she got the hookup she did. 

"Oh my gosh, I'm so excited to work with Rayne. I'm so happy that you decided to write a song for me. I love your work." 

"Thank you, I do too."