Quickly he realized that English wasn't her first language; she would pronounce words differently and would take long to answer simple questions.

He was patient with her. At times he would elaborate or use easier words for her to understand.

She learned new words because of him, and he learned new words in Spanish because of her.

He followed her like a lost puppy.

They became friends and hung out during lunch time. One day at the end of the school year, while they were eating lunch in the cafeteria, a pair of boys approached them.

Otis and Marisol were smiling, sitting next to each other, their legs brushing against each other once in a while.

"Me gusta tu pelo," Marisol said to Otis. She was helping him learn Spanish. Today's lesson was about compliments.

Otis repeated the phrase slowly. "Good job," she said proudly. She could somewhat understand what he was trying to say, but she didn't want to discourage him.

"Good job," a boy repeated with a fake accent, making fun of Marisol. The pair stopped smiling and looked at the boys "you need to speak English," the other boy said loudly and slowly.

"She can hear you," Otis said; his hand was flat on the table, and his eyebrows were knitted together.

"You should leave and never come back," the redhead said to Marisol.

She looked at him, confused. "No one wants you here," the blonde shorter boy said.

Otis got up from his seat "leave her alone," he said defensively.

Marisol looked between the three boys. She could understand a few words and by the boy's expression, could piece together what was going on.

"What are you going to do, Otis," the redhead said with a smirk; he was a few inches taller than Otis.

"Go speak your ugly language somewhere else."

"Yeah, we don't want your kind here."

Otis wasn't a fighter, but he wasn't going to sit and do nothing. Like his father, he was going to protect the people he cared about.

Otis got up, and the two other boys smirked down at him.

"You are going to apologize to Marisol," he said firmly.

They laughed at him, "Why, would we do that," Zach, the blonde boy asked.

"If you don't, I'll punch you," he said, sounding less firm.

Sam, the redhead, crossed his arms over his chest, "I want to see you try."

They had known Otis since they were in kindergarten. Otis was a quiet nice boy who wouldn't throw the first punch.

Otis closed his fist and looked at the smirk Zach had on his face. They were taunting him; their laugh echoed in his mind.

His fist was closed tightly, and he threw the first punch.

He hit Zach on his lower jaw, almost missing. He didn't stop there; he punched Sam, this time right in the eye.

Both boys were shocked, but they wouldn't let Otis win the fight. The boys went after Otis; it was an unfair fight.

Marisol ran, looking for a teacher before things could escalate.

The three boys were sent to the principal office.

Sam had a bruised eye and a busted lip. Zach had a bloody nose and a bruised jaw.

Otis left eye was swollen, and he had a busted lip.

The three boys were suspended for fighting, and Zach and Sam were suspended three more days for bullying.

After a long and heated conversation between all the parents of the kids the kids were sent home.

Julia and Steve walked in front of Otis. Fighting was not the right thing to do, but they were proud of their son for defending a friend.

Steve couldn't judge his son too hard since, in his teen years, he was in a few fights.

"Otis, wait," Marisol called after him.

His head was low, and he had a headache, but once he heard her voice, his head perked up, and he turned his head.

She caught up to him, and she stopped, surprised to see how his face was. "I'm sorry for getting you in trouble."

He smiled weakly, "Don't worry about it. My dad is going to buy me ice cream," he said with a grin.

Marisol held her hands together and moved them slowly back and forth. "Thank you for def" She didn't know how to say the word. Otis noticed her struggling and helped her out, "You are my friend Marisol. I'll always defend you."

She blushed and held her breath as she leaned in, kissing his cheek. He held in a hiss as she kissed the area where he had been punched.

He was smiling like a fool.

"Otis, let's go," his mother called him.

He was hypnotized by Marisol's presence. He blinked a few times, snapping out of the trace, "I'll see you in a week," he told her.

"Adiós, Marisol," he waved as he walked backward to where his parents were waiting for him.

Otis was sad he didn't see Marisol for a week, but he remembered that kiss every single day counting down the minutes until he could see her again.

The bruises were worth it, and he knew he would take another punch for her.