060

Once again, the group was following Dustin down the woods, but this time Dustin was sure he was taking them the right way.

Melody was sleeping while Julia was carrying her. It was late at night, and the young girl was tired.

Julia walked carefully, her head facing down, taking every step with caution, not wanting to trip while carrying her daughter.

The others were a few feet ahead of her, their flashlights barely illuminating her pathway. As Julia was going to take another step, her path was brighten; she could see the tree branches, the small piles of soil, and the green leaves on the ground clearly.

On her left side, Eddie was walking; his flashlight pointed at her feet, his face straight ahead. Both of them walked in silence.

Robin and Nancy were a few feet in front of them. The two young girls were talking about something Julia couldn't quite hear about what.

Steve and Dustin were up in the front probably arguing about not going the right way.

After walking in a comfortable silence for three minutes, Eddie broke the silence. He hated being quiet. It made him feel uncomfortable; he always had to make a sound of some kind. Either by humming, tapping his fingers on his chest, playing his guitar or talking.

It didn't matter what, but he had to fill in the silence.

"Soo," he started by saying. He lifted his eyebrows, "You and Steve," he glanced at a sleeping Melody.

It was probably not a good topic to start off with, but the words were already there.

Julia looked up at Eddie. His face didn't hold any judgment or pain, only curiosity.

She looked down at Melody. The young girl was sleeping with her mouth open; her brown hair was sticking out in all directions.

"We are together, yes," she said with a smile.

He moved a bit closer to the mother and daughter. "I'm happy for you," he said with a genuine smile. "It suits you. Being a mom."

She glanced at him; his dark brown eyes were already looking at her.

"You think so," she asked him. There was always a small part of her that thought she wasn't a good mom that she wasn't made to do this.

"Yes, your daughter is the luckiest person to have you as her mom. There's no doubt in my mind about it."

Julia moved a strand of hair away from Melody's eye before it poked her eye.

"Hopefully, she thinks that when she's a teenager," she laughed.

Melody's teenage years were far away; Julia wouldn't have to worry about it any time soon.

"Well, you know how teenagers are," he moved his index finger toward the front, pointing at the back of the heads of the group.

"I think I'm getting some practice."

Eddie nodded with a smile on his face.

He had missed talking to her and the simple fact of being around her. Being near her always brought him happiness and tranquility, something he wasn't used to, and in the last few days, he had missed it.

In his naive young mind, he wanted to believe they were going to be high school sweethearts. He enjoyed every moment with her like it was his last, then things between them ended, and he knew that's what he deserved. He wasn't good enough for her.