14 | Horton T2-Regus-Xi 6L

"Well, it's running a four-cylinder cross-phase hybrid engine, metalux ratio dampers, and a dreadnaught coaxial distribution system. A bit like the quad bike...but, you know, way more powerful!"

Pepper pulled her head out of the tractor and looked at Erin.

"You get any of that?"

"I make scarecrows," the girl replied. "Engineering was Pa's obsession."

Pepper jumped off a huge tyre that, despite being deflated, was still taller than her. "Well, it's a real gas guzzler," she said, kicking an aluminium drum that rang with a half empty clang! "The fuel you've scavenged won't last long."

"How far can we go?" Erin asked.

"Depends."

"On?"

Pepper paced back and forth, inspecting the tractor. It had three good agricultural tyres at each corner. The suspension system was clogged with dirt and grime, but looked serviceable. Above, sat the engine block and hybrid system, along with a complex series of exhaust pipes and a boxy cockpit: a multi-aspect driving capsule. A patchwork of green plastic arches and panels loitered here and there like mismatched armour. Several sections were missing. Possibly stripped or lost. Pepper wondered if they'd end up as scarecrows.

"Multiple factors," she said eventually. "Weight for one. The more it weighs, the more energy it takes to move. If we're all going then we'll need to remove every unessential part."

"Fine. What else?"

"Meteorological conditions."

"So, weather?"

"Yeah," Pepper laughed. "Driving into a headwind will dramatically impact energy reserves. Terrain too. Uphill is a no-go."

"So, we're looking for flat open spaces, praying for a tailwind, and need to put the tractor on calorie deficit as soon as possible?"

"How about using the elements?" came Marshall's voice.

Erin and Pepper turned.

Marshall was leaning against the farmhouse door.

Socks sniffed at his pockets for a treat.

"To your advantage, I mean. Like the birds did with HMS Fortitude."

"What now?"

"The birds had a battleship," he explained.

Pepper's eyes were out on stalks. "The birds...had a...battleship?"

Erin moved towards Marshall and wrapped her arms around him.

"It was quite something," he said over Erin's shoulder. "Hundreds of colourful sheets and blankets and duvet covers all stitched together to form a huge sail that propelled a gun-metal destroyer through The Endless Blue."

Erin pulled away, kissing his cheek tenderly.

"Wow," Pepper said. "I'd have loved to see that."

"It's a lovely idea," Erin said. "But it'll take too long. Twelve already has a head start. I guess we'll just trim the tractor down, load up every last drop of fuel we can, and take our chances."

Marshall frowned.

Pepper drummed her bottom lip.

* * *

They spent the day stripping the Horton T2-Regus-Xi 6L down to size. Pepper removed the cross-phase turbo and the FM radio, making sure to yank out any associated cables too, while Erin set to work detaching the window rims and shouldering the plastic panels loose. Travelling at night, this was something they could live without. Floor mats went. Cup holders, mud guards, and the service manual, too.