62

I felt numb as I made my way back to the office. I had just basically signed my life away until I could complete the missions Pops gave me.

In reality I knew I should have consulted Nate or Jake before making this decision but I would do anything to get Sam and Colby back.

Pops explained that he would be in touch through Sam's email. I didn't have any idea what tasks I would be asked to do but I couldn't ask for help with them.

I had to handle this all on my own.

When I got back to the office I made my way down the hallway, trying to keep the hard expression on my face. In reality I was terrified of the decision I just made and I didn't know how it was going to go.

"Julia. Where did you go?" Nate asked as he followed me down the hall. "Nowhere." I lied and walked into Sam's office.

"I know you're lying. Did you go to that house? Colby is literally going to kill me if you did." He said as I looked up at him.

"Does it look like I got hurt? I'm fine and can handle myself." I said with a false confidence. "We're here to help you though, Julia. You don't have to take it on all on your own." He said as I nodded.

"Do we have any bullet proof vests?" I asked, changing the subject. "Yeah, but they're bulky and kinda obvious. You want one?" He asked as I nodded.

"I need one...but I need it to be subtle with extra padding on my abdomen." I said as he scrunched his brow.

"Possibly knife resistant too." I hummed. "Yeah..I guess we could make that work. Why the abdomen and not the chest as much?" He asked as I looked down. "No reason." I said then sat behind the desk.

"You're pregnant, aren't you?" He asked as I clenched my jaw. "Julia." He said as I shook my head. "I just want extra protection." I said then logged into the computer.

"Now leave and let me work." I said, focusing on the email icon.

I felt like shit, knowing I was going behind Nate's back like this. It was dangerous doing what I was doing but it was even worse that I was in fact pregnant.

I had to keep it on the low that I was with child because that would be an immediate target.

The best I could do was get some sort of vest to protect the baby from any violence that could happen.

I stared at the email, waiting for my first mission. It was pathetic of me, considering I probably should have been training or practicing shooting a gun, but the faster I got these tasks the faster I would be reunited with Sam and Colby.

After a while there was a knock on the door, causing me to groan and look towards it. "What?" I asked as Jake opened the door.

"Hey, I brought you snack. Nate said you were acting weird and I didn't know if it was because you were hungry." He said and held up a bag of Panda Express.

"Thanks, Jake." I mumbled and reached for the bag. "Do you need any help with anything?" He asked as I sighed.

"I need to use the shooting range." I said as he scrunched his brows. "Wow, so you're like...actually taking charge." He said as I nodded. "Yeah. Why else would I be here?" I asked blandly.

"I thought you were gonna just tell us what to do but stay out of the action." He said as I shook my head. "I need to be in the action for this to get done." I said then took a bite of my food.

I didn't realize how hungry I was until I was scarfing down the food in front of me.

"Woah, man." Jake said as I laughed. "I'm sorry. I guess I was just starving." I said as a proud grin formed on his face. "I knew it." He said as I rolled my eyes.