June 24th

My grandma had always been my unwavering support system when growing up. Whether my mom was preoccupied or unable to attend an event, Grandma stood by my side. She never missed a single pageant, always helping to curl my hair, paint my nails, and expertly applying my lipstick before I walled on stage. And regardless of the outcome, we always treated ourselves to a comforting breakfast afterward. Grandma firmly believed that pancakes and waffles had the power to heal anything. She was the anchor in my life.

When I was too young to recall, my dad walked out on us, leaving Grandma to step in without a moment's hesitation. She was my best friend, picking me up from school, chauffeuring me wherever I needed to go, and cooking the best food. On nights when my mom worked late, she always allowed me to stay up way past my bedtime, watching movies and talking with her. It was Grandma who introduced me to the enchantment of cheesy romance films and dipping fries in milkshakes.

She never hesitated to offer her unwavering support, so why should I? She had always been there for me, comforting me during moments of sorrow and rejoicing alongside me during moments of happiness. Now, it was my turn to help her.

After Grandpa passed, Grandma was never the same. My mom and aunts often remarked that a part of her soul left with him, leaving an ever-growing void within her. Soon after his death, she made the decision to sell her city condo and relocate to Lake Rossen year-round. The cabin became her haven, adorned with memories and trinkets accumulated throughout their adventures. The air always smelled of freshly baked cookies and the lake. Though always clean, the cabin was filled to the brim with hidden treasures. One entire wall of the living room was dedicated to capturing the milestones achieved by my cousins and me, proudly showcasing their degrees and diplomas, and my collection of crowns and sashes.

 One entire wall of the living room was dedicated to capturing the milestones achieved by my cousins and me, proudly showcasing their degrees and diplomas, and my collection of crowns and sashes

As the sun rose, casting its warm glow, I found myself standing outside Grandma's cabin, brimming with anticipation. The sight of her fragile state pained me. Gone was the lively spirit of my childhood. Now, she lay in bed, surrounded by drawn blinds and the scent of mildew took over the air. Yet, the pictures on the walls remained perfectly straight and dusted.

"Grandma," I called out, gently pushing open the front door. "It's me, Lilian. Your favourite grandchild ever." In a place like Lake Rossen, no bothered to ever really lock their doors. After all, Dorthy from two houses over wasn't going to break in when she could barely stand upright.

"Just a moment, Lilac-Honey," she responded from within,using her classic nickname for me.

My mother had named me 'Lilac' as an homage to the flower that Grandpa had presented to Grandma on their first date. she always told me that lilacs symbolized first love and innocence. The addition of 'Honey' came from Grandma's constant insistent, that I was a sweet as honey on a fresh summer day.

"I'll start making breakfast so you can take your morning pills. Then maybe we can take a walk before Auntie Claire arrives," I suggested.  Even though I was the one taking care of Grandma, this summer, my aunts son sister, not taking her to any and all of her appointments, saying that I needed to at least it spend a bit of my summer as a dumb teenager.