03 - Grave Actions

Johanna paced back and forth, her nerves on edge

Johanna paced back and forth, her nerves on edge. Javier had stopped and dismounted Boaz on the forest surrounding Patrick Murphy's cabin while they waited for Charles to catch up. Javier had assisted in getting Johanna off the horses before the Mexican man perched himself on a large rock, lighting a cigarette. He watched the redheaded woman curiously as she moved back and forth before him, twiddling her fingers and her eyes darting around them. Javier blew out a puff of air, his eyes narrowing as he found her behaviour odd.

"What are you doing?" He asked her, bringing the cigarette back to his lips and breathing deeply in the tobacco.

Johanna stopped pacing, turning to face the man. Her face showed she was anxious, the fear she felt bubbling out from underneath her skin. "How can you be so calm?" She asked him, taking a small step towards him, her green eyes still darting around. Javier's brows furrowed, unsure of what she meant. "We're just sitting out here, where any man or beast could wander upon us."

Javier snorted, finally understanding the young woman's concerns. Standing up, he dropped the butt of his cigarette to the ground and stomped it out. "If any man or beast does wander upon us," He quoted her words back at her as he reached for the revolver at his hip, pulling it out and flashing the weapon at her. "I can handle it."

A single eyebrow rose as Johanna took the man in, and with all his confidence with a gun, he didn't doubt himself for a second. "You going to take down a cougar with that pea shooter?" That retort made the smirk fall off his face, Javier now frowning at her.

Re-holstering his weapon back at his hip, Javier pulled out a knife, twirling it in his nimble fingers as he stepped closer to Johanna. The redhead shrunk back a bit, eyeing him. "I also have this. I use a special poison I make myself on the blade. One stab..." He looked at her, making sure their eyes met. "...and I can take down a bear." Johanna's eyes were darting between his dark orbs and the knife, her breathing heavy. Javier smirked, taking another step towards her. With a tilt of his head, he rotated the blade away from her. "But I would never harm a woman, especially a pretty one like yourself." Johanna's eyes snapped back to his, studying the mischievous glint in his eyes. She could see how he was enjoying teasing her.

The pair only stood inches apart, Johanna glaring. At the same time, Javier smiled at her smugly when Charles rode up on Taima, the dark-skinned native man observing their close interactions. Neither noticed him until Taima neighed loudly, making the woman jump, and Javier merely turned to him.

"Charles," Javier greeted his friend, placing his knife back in its sheath. "How'd everything go with Dutch?" If the Mexican man was bothered by the intrusion, he didn't express it.

Charles glanced at Johanna again, watching the woman step away from Javier, her arms crossing defensively. She was uncomfortable. Charles dismounted Taima, hitching the horse to the same tree as Boaz. "He's fine. Wants us to be careful."

Javier nodded before gesturing behind him with his head. "The cabin is just over this treeline. I haven't checked it out yet." Charles stared at him silently, sparing one glance to an aggravated Johanna before looking back at his friend, a silent conversation was spoken between the two men as Javier rolled his eyes as Charles questioned his friend's antics with the redheaded woman. Javier moved up to the treeline, having to climb a small hill. With his back to Charles and Johanna, the dark-skinned man gestured for Johanna to move ahead, assisting her when needed, as her long skirt caused a slight issue walking up the sloped surface.