21

this fic was started in january of last year, and its january again

🙁

y/n stared at the ceiling from his bed, well, now it was just a mattress on the floor. and it was quite cold, colder than usual, he was always freezing when he slept in the room but now the draft from the broken balcony door chilled him further.

red had offered to let him have a new room, but y/n declined. he wanted to suffer the consequences of his outburst. he furrowed his eyebrows at the ceiling, cursing himself.

he glanced out the balcony doorway, the sun was rising. he sighed and sat up, getting ready to leave his room to do.. something, anything.

just as he stood to walk out, the door opened, Affogato stood confidently in the doorway, "oh my! i was just coming to wake you," he smiled and covered his mouth with his hand regally, "i took you as the type to sleep in."

y/n deadpanned, "what do you want?" he crossed his arms.

"quite the messy room, i know you are just a hostage but they could've given you a bed frame hmm?" his staff jingled as he swayed it back and forth.

y/n stared blankly, affogato took it as a chance to keep talking, "or is this the result of your outburst..?" y/n was getting real sick of that smile on his face, "what? seeing your family again make you realize something? homesick are we?" y/n almost gasped, almost let his eyes go wide.

y/n clenched his fist, trying his best to keep his face straight. affogato took a step into the room, circling y/n like a shark, "you've gotten far to comfortable here. calling your captor creepy isn't a smart move for a hostage. you do realize you are expendable, yes?"

y/n seethed, affogato was absolutely right, he has gotten too comfortable, and still it was taking every fiber of muscle to hold himself back from decking affogato.

"how adorable. you really are so cute," affogato grabbed y/n's shoulders from behind him, bringing his face just too close, testing him.

"i'm a man of mercy, leniency. currently you have two strikes," affogato waved a hand infront of y/n's face, holding up two fingers, "i believe you are smart enough to guess what happens on the third yes? oh! but being so rude to me, is that a strike?" affogato pushed himself off the man and put a hand to his cheek, walking around again, "oh, and directly disobeying orders from our great dark enchantress? twice in one day? oh that should be three strikes on its own!"

"oh dear you're at five strikes! oh my, what ever shall we do about this hmm?" affogato stopped in front of y/n, his smile changing, "oh i have just the idea. for a quick and easy favor i can forget four of those strikes, what a deal!" affogato crossed his arms, awaiting a response.

it took y/n a while to say anything, a paused, scared of what would happen when he opened his mouth. he let out a breath, then spoke, "and the favor is?" he internally sighed, able to keep his voice monotone.

"i am so glad you asked, dear! all you have to do," he took a step forward, "is nothing!" he clapped his hands together with a smile.

"start behaving, and let me finish what i started yesterday. sounds like you're getting off easy to
me."

y/n felt like he was shaking, he felt like he should be, he felt like punching affogato in the gut, he felt stupid for daring to get comfortable in the tower that held him prisoner just because the guards were a little polite. he felt like he deserved whatever curse was about to me placed on him. he looked up from the floor, meeting affogatos eyes, and he simply nodded.

"good, i knew you were a smart boy." affogato smiled victoriously, and to y/n's surprise he simply turned to leave the room. "do, nothing. i'll be back." he waved, then walked away with a confident laugh.

y/n shook, his fist clenched so tightly it began to hurt, reopening the small scratches from the day before. he glared at the floor, he was enraged again, he wanted to go home. he wanted to kill affogato himself.

since when did he want to kill anyone?

"y/n!" he felt a hand in his shoulder, jolting him away from his spiraling thoughts.

"y/n why are you just standing here? are you okay? what happened?" pomegranate furrowed her brows in concern, grabbing y/n's chin to tilt his head side to side, checking for injuries.

"...i'm fine, just spaced out." y/n looked away, making himself monotone again,

"don't lie, why are you crying?"

y/n let his eyes go wide, bringing his hand to his cheek to feel the tears, just now noticing his blurred vision, "ah... i uh. didn't notice." he was perplexed by how that could've gone unnoticed.

"it must be the concussion." he wiped his tears on his arm, it didn't do much.

"...seeing someone cry with no expression is such an odd sight." pomegranate handed him a handkerchief, concern still evident on her face. she sighed, preparing to leave, "asking a hostage why he's crying is such an odd question. i apologize, i'll leave you be." she turned to walk away.

pomegranate stopped in the doorway, holding the doorknob, "however if you'd prefer company, my door is open to you." she didn't turn to speak to him, "i'll be sure to tell Affogato that leaving doors open is terribly rude- i saw him walk down the hall." she left y/n alone yet again.

y/n wished she hadn't visited him at all.

do not expect frequent updates from me 🙏

anyway happy new years lol