Chapter 47 - Important

I looked at Matilda, confused as she dug through the trash by the toilet. After a bit, she grabbed something from the trash and gripped it tightly with her hand. She got up from the ground and put her hands behind her back. I looked to her, confused. She shut her eyes tightly as she put her hands out in front of me. She opened her hands and I stood in shock at what I saw.

"Holy shit!" I yelled. "Shhh!" She quickly responded. She put her finger to my lips to shut me up. In her hands was a pregnancy test which read positive. "You don't need to announce it to the world!" She whisper yelled. I held back a smile as I looked at the test in her hand. "Who's the dad?" I asked excitedly. "Is it Darry?" I continued quietly. She gave me a light punch to the shoulder. "Of course it is!" She whisper yelled. "Who else would it be?" She asked, annoyed. I shrugged.

"Have you told him yet?" I asked cluelessly. She put her palm to her face in annoyance and sighed. "You're the only one I've told so far." She said as she took her hand away from her face. "Oh." I said in realization. "I'm planning on telling him tonight." She stated. I nodded my head. "Just promise not to tell anyone else. Ok?" She stated. "Got it." I said with confidence.

I couldn't hold back my smile as I filled with excitement. "I can't believe you're pregnant!" I whisper yelled. She playfully rolled her eyes at me as she smiled. "Alright, let's go. Dally's probably dying out there." Matilda mentioned. I giggled as I reached for the door nob and opened the door.

As I walked down the hall I was filled with excitement. I was gonna be an aunt! I also wondered how Darry would react, I hoped he'd be as excited as I was. I hoped that he wouldn't get mad or anything like that. I knew Darry was good guy though, he'd probably be good with the news, even if he would be terrified.

I opened the door to my room and found Dallas sitting on the edge of my bed. I smiled as I walked over to him. "Took you long enough." He sighed as he got up from the bed. "What was so important?" He asked. I stood for a moment, remembering that I couldn't tell anyone. "Nothing. Just girl problems." I answered. "Oh." He said. I chuckled as I grabbed his hand. I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before I led him out the door.

We all slowly went down the stairs, making sure not to alarm our parents. If they saw Dallas, they'd flip out. When it came to greasers, they would never let them in our house, they hated them. We quietly snuck past them and through the front door. We all squeezed into the car and drifted off towards the north side.

As Matilda drove, she twitched and shook. I knew she was nervous, nervous to tell Darry. I looked at her with concern until we arrived at the house. Dallas quickly hopped out of the car and walked into the house. We both decided that he should go in first, to avoid suspicion from the gang. Matilda took a deep breath as she closed her eyes tightly. She patted her thighs nervously before turning to me.

"Do you think he'll be okay? Will he flip out? Should I tell him yet? Should I-" She kept asking nervously before I cut her off. "It'll be okay." I reassured her. She nodded her head quickly. "Whatever happens, I be there for you. Alright?" I continued. "Are you sure?" She asked. I smiled at her. "Yes." I said confidently. She smiled back at me. "Are you ready?" I asked as I smiled widely. She sat for a moment in hesitation before opening the car door. "I'm ready." She said as she got out of the car.

I quickly got out of the car and took her hand as we headed inside. She hesitantly entered as she walked towards Darry. I watched her as she brought him into the kitchen. I smiled as I sat down next to Two-Bit on the couch. "Thanks again for the twenty." I mentioned as I looked over to him with a smirk. He jerked his head over to face me. "That was a month ago! Will ya stop bringing it up?!" He yelled with a smile across his face. I chuckled. "Yeah yeah." I said jokingly as I looked to the television.

"Really?!" I heard Darry yell from the kitchen. Everyone perked up and looked to the kitchen in confusion. Soda stood up from his position on the floor and slowly walked towards the kitchen. Everyone followed.