Chapter 17 - Sunset

Me and Dallas were smoking for awhile in silence. It felt good to smoke, it felt freeing I guess. The moment just felt right I guess. I was with Dallas Winston smoking cigarettes, fun right?

After awhile our peaceful moment was broken by Steve Randle. "Hey Dally!" He yelled as he jogged towards us. "Hey y/n." His eyes darted towards me as he stopped in front of us. "Hi Steve." I said. "What ya guys doin?" He asked. "Just smoking." Dallas spoke up. "Cool." Steve said as he walked up to the door. I turned my head back. Steve swung the door open to reveal Johnny. "Hey Johnny." Steve said as he slid past him. "Oh hey Steve." Johnny said as he squeezed past Steve.

The door slammed behind Johnny as he began to walk towards us. "Hey Dal." Johnny said as he stopped behind us. Dallas turned his head around. "Hey kiddo." He said. "Ponyboy sent me out to check on y/n." Johnny said quietly. "What are you guys doing?" He asked. "Just takin a smoke." Dallas said. "Can I join ya?" Johnny quietly asked. "Sure." I said. "Do you mind Dallas?" I asked turning towards Dallas. "Nope." He said.

Johnny took a seat next to Dallas. He then grabbed a box of cigarettes from his pocket and flipped it open. He got a cigarette out and shoved the box back in his pocket. "I don't have a lighter on me right now." Johnny said. "Give it here." Dallas said as he put his hand out. He gave him the cigarette and Dallas began lighting it on his necklace then handed it back to Johnny. "Thanks Dal." Johnny said. He brought the cigarette to his mouth and took a drag. Dallas nodded his head. Johnny set his chin to his knees and rested.

We all sat quietly enjoying the peaceful moment. I looked to the sky as the sun began to set. I always enjoyed sunsets, they were pretty and very peaceful. I'd always go out to watch them with my sister, ever since we were little. "Sure is pretty ain't it?" I asked. Johnny popped up from his knees and looked to me. "What?" He asked. "The sunset." I said. I didn't take my eyes off the sky, it was too pretty. Johnny brought his eyes to the sky. "Yeah, real pretty." He said. I smiled because I felt that Johnny was getting more comfortable around me.

"What do you think Dallas?" I asked, looking towards Dallas. He was playing with his ring before he popped up. "About what?" He asked. "The sunset. It's pretty ain't it?" I said. He looked towards the sky. "I guess." He said. He didn't seem to be that interested in the sunset because he went right back to playing with his ring. I rolled my eyes as looked back towards the sky.

"Ponyboy would like this." Johnny said. "I'll go get him." He continued. He got off the ground and ran towards the door. He swung it open and went inside. "You really like that ring huh?" I said looking down at Dallas's ring. He popped up and looked at me then back at the ring. "Yeah..." He trailed off. I sighed as I looked back at the sky. I took a drag from my cigarette then turned towards Dallas. I blew a puff of smoke in his face to get him back for doing it to me. He shot up and blew a puff of smoke back at me. I rolled my eyes at him as he smiled. "You suck." I said . "I know." He said. God I hate Dallas, he's a real jerk. "You know what..." I jerked towards him and grabbed the cigarette from his hands. I threw it by my foot and crushed it against the dirt. "Now who's the jerk?" Dallas asked. "You deserve it." I said. He rolled his eyes at me and went back to playing with his ring.

I heard the door swing open as Ponyboy and Johnny came out. I swung my head around to look at them. I followed them with my eyes as they both sat down, Johnny next to Dallas and Pony next to me. "Pretty ain't it?" I asked. "Sure is." Ponyboy said. "I always watch these things with my sister. Ever since we were little kids." I said. Pony looked towards me. "You enjoy sunsets too huh?" He asked. I nodded my head. "They're pretty. They're also somehow comforting, if that makes any sense." I said. Pony turned back towards the sky. "It does make sense." He said. I smiled as we all watched the rest of the sunset together while Dallas played with his ring.

After the sunset ended we all got up and went inside. The rest of the time I was there we watched the television, played poker, drank beer, and of course ate cake. It was a good time while it lasted. I was really happy around the Curtis gang, and even though I had only known them for two days, I felt like I knew them for years.

Me, Soda, and Steve were all playing poker together in the kitchen. "Ha! Suckers!" I yelled as I stood up from my chair. I had won a game of poker. "Hand over the cash." I said putting my hand out. Both Steve and Soda playfully rolled their eyes at me as they scrambled through their pockets. They handed me the cash and I counted the money. "Thanks." I said. "Yep." They both said sarcastically. "Here, I'll spare you both a quarter." I said setting two quarters on the table. They both rolled their eyes as they took the quarter. "Well I would play another game with you guys but I should get going." I said smirking. "I'll walk ya home if you want." Sodapop said. "Alright." I said. Sodapop stood from his chair and followed me to the living room.

"I'm gonna take y/n home." Soda said. "Leaving already?" Dallas asked a he looked up from the television. "Yep. I gotta get home to my sister. Last time I left her she got really drunk." I said. He nodded his head. "You wanna come over after school tomorrow?" Ponyboy asked. I looked over to him. "I'd love to." I said.

"Bye, see you tomorrow!" Everyone yelled as me and Soda walked out the door.