The Boys and the Wolf (Part 5)

That night, Remus felt a deep sense of relief after witnessing his insides sink and embarrass himself more and more throughout the day

During the sorting ceremony, the brown-haired boy stood up in a nervous gesture mistakenly thinking his name would be called.

James and Pettigrew turned to him and Sirius, sitting at the Gryffindor table next to Lily Evans and Raven Fraser, pursed his lips as if to stifle a laugh.

"The Professor called Luckham. Want to jump the line?" - Pettigrew asked with a smile, baring his slightly oversized teeth.

"No..." replied Remus, sitting back down and lowering his head, hoping no one else would notice his mistake.

His gaze met Sirius', who nodded with an amused expression that was much softer than the one Remus had seen all evening. His young age finally seemed to show in his delicate facial expressions and handsome features. His gray eyes moved behind his long bangs and he applauded enthusiastically for each student brought to the Gryffindor table.

Lupin wondered if Black's change in mood was due to the Sorting Hat's decision to send him to a House other than his family's.

The Slytherins occasionally sidled up to Sirius and whispered to each other. Among them, two straw-haired boys sat next to a dark-haired first-year named Emily Davies, who had spent some time with the Sorting Hat on her head before being sent to Slytherin.

Not far away, Bellatrix Black sat talking to the boy with blond hair and a ponytail who had bullied students at the Express. Remus' eyelids fluttered a little when he saw Bellatrix simulate a slash across her own throat with her wand and move her head towards Sirius.

"REMUS JOHN LUPIN!" - said Professor McGonagall's brisk voice as if she was calling the student a third time, only because she was really calling him a bloody third time.

The brown-haired boy snapped out of his distraction and thoughts and got up under the grins of James and Pettigrew.

"HERE!" - Remus shouted, running to the stool and seeing Sirius watching him intently while some students laughed and the Sorting Hat was placed on his head.

It didn't take long for the ragged magical object to enter Lupin's mind, muttering in the voice of a husky sage more aware than most living things:

"Well, well... Here we have Remus John Lupin, the son of Lyall Lupin and Hope Howell. I remember well sending your insecure father to the care of Gryffindor and your wise mother to Ravenclaw. Perhaps I could do it again and send their only child to one of those Houses. There is intelligence in that sharp mind, no doubt about it. You could be happy in Ravenclaw and that would make the boy in you very proud. But there is something else in you, my boy. Oh, yes! There is cunning and violence, Mr. Lupin. Yes, indeed! Darkness and deviousness. I might as well send you to Slytherin. The wolf in your heart would feel free, the way Slytherin does things..."