Chapter Sixty-eight: the third secret

Krystal's POV

   "I'm in love with Frost…" The words reverberated in my head, accompanied by a persistent loud bell. I knew what he said but it was as though my mind couldn't comprehend it at the same time. At least, for the first minute. There was a thick silence between us, our heartbeats, breathing, and the ticking of the clock the only sounds resonating in the room. Oh, and the sentence was ringing in my head.

   I knew Lynn loved Frost, the way he treated and pampered him was enough proof but I didn't think he'd be in love with Frost. Loving someone and being in love with them is a whole different thing. It was supposed to hurt to hear that my mate is in love with someone else, especially when that person is someone you are fond of or care deeply for. My wolf was supposed to whimper or lose control. I was supposed to be hurt and angry; betrayed… but why don't I give a shit?

   It only came as a shock for the first minute but soon after, it started feeling normal. It's not supposed to be normal, I'm supposed to be hurt. But I wasn't, because the guy he chose over me is Frost. "To be more precise, I was in love with him," he said softly, "but he never saw me as anything but his brother and best friend. To him, I was the blessing sent to him after he lost his sister, an anchor to his sanity and an escape from total anguish. To him, I am his family and he'll forever love me as a brother and a friend." He explained dejectedly and I almost felt sorry for him seeing his head cast down and his hands miserably left draping between his legs. Well, the keyword is almost.

   Merlynn looked extra cute as a miserable person. Not that I'd like to see him like that, but the expression on his face made it too hard to think about what he was going through. His hair was slightly tousled and a few thin strands scattered over his forehead and neck. He had quite an amount of sweat rising from his skin due to anxiousness, adding a sexy touch to his distressed look. His lips had gone a bit pallid like his rosy cheeks and the green in his eyes had completely swallowed the dust in them. The red streaks in his hair seemed to have expanded, responding to his mood. The sadder he was, the more his golden hair turned red.

Fascinating.

   "It sucks to be rejected even without confessing and that is what happened to me. The bitterness is one of the reasons I became a sex maniac because it was the only way I could forget about him. It was strange at first. I couldn't look at other men but him and when I fucked around, I only ever slept with women. Still, I couldn't get him out of my mind so I tried luring him into sleeping with me. Maybe if we did, I'll be able to flush him out of my system but it didn't work," he said with a shaky and defeated voice. "He always saw it as a joke or that I was teasing him. I thought that maybe it was because he only sees me with girls, so I forced myself to try different guys too so he'd take me seriously. Still, he didn't want me or get the hints I was sent to him. The dick was completely clueless and only ever saw Rafaelia as his love even if he didn't know it," he had gone from distressed and pathetic to upset and irritated. Somebody must have been very jealous then.

   "Is that why you hated Faelly?"

   "I didn't hate her, I envied her. There was only one person I hated and that was his sister," I tilted my head and hummed. My heart seemed to have jolted from that statement and it was strange. Lynn sighed and turned his head to look at me, his green eyes giving off a faint glow. "I couldn't hate myself because I love myself, obviously, so I poured the hate on the dead girl who still held him in his grasp. Rafaelia didn't hold a candle to her and she was his mate. He told me himself that Raf is the only girl his sister approved of before she died, and she will be the only one he marries if he ever wants to. That was before he found out they were mates. I hated that girl who ruined my chances even in death and I hated how he loved her more than anyone else. Frost loved her like he was loving his soul. He cared about her as one would care for oneself and it irritated me…" why does it feel like he was talking about me?