here (for once)

Much to my annoyance, Mumma, Juan, and Leah gang up on me and arrange special assistance with Singapore Airlines for me to get from Melbourne to London safely. Even then, all three of them emphasise how worried they will be and how important it is that I keep them updated. Thankfully, I am given the clear to stop using crutches a day before my flight to Singapore, so it is not as bad as it could have been.

Through her connections, Mumma has set me up with a physio in London to continue my rehab while I stay with Leah. I think I might visit Papa, too, but I will just use the clinic Mumma used to work at.

The first leg (Melbourne to Singapore) is just as boring as usual, though I do spend a good portion of the flight engaged in a philosophical conversation with the air hostess who was tasked with ensuring I am caring for my injured calf as best as I can. She and I then discuss relationships, with her telling me about her recent divorce and me exploring exactly how complicated it has been for me and Leah to get together. At least it will be a good story.

"I think you're a bit commitment-phobic," Pippa says gently, smiling to soften the blow. "But, like, same, so don't worry. It's nice to know that we've all got similar issues – famous tennis player or not."

She just gets it. "Exactly. Life still happens regardless of your job." The conversation transitions into something more light-hearted until she leaves to actually work and I begin to watch a new movie that has come out. It is not too bad. I text a few of my friends within the job, replying to their sympathy messages mostly.

Nick (K) and I are sort of close. He finds it funny that I won both January tournaments and then decided to tap out for three months. He says that I am becoming like him, to which I tell him that the world is not ready for anything like that to happen. I will admit to having broken a few racquets in fits of rage, though. And kicking chairs. And swearing. Passion is not a bad thing.

My layover in Singapore is short – barely enough time for me to have a snack and send my three wardens a travel update. I have already told Fleur that I will be in England to watch the Arnold Clark Cup, also reminding her to grieve Scarlett a bit more dramatically. Nobody knows that they were not together. Being Leah Williamson's girlfriend gives me a good insight into how that news would be received, and, at this moment in time, I do not think it would make Fleur the most loved footballer out there.

It is one in the morning when I arrive at London Heathrow. I get directed to a hidden part of the airport that has lots of seats, no cameras, and a very short queue for me to get through border control. Pippa keeps me company, fetching my bags. We both put two and two together when she told me it was odd for her to have both my flights – someone had obviously arranged it. Probably Mumma. I think Pippa might actually be a family friend.

Anyway, Leah was adamant to pick me up but I refused to let her leave camp at this hour. In a gruelling Battle of the Wills, I ended up defeated and placed in the care of Amanda, who will be taking me back to her house in Milton Keynes, where I will stay until Leah is done with the Arnold Clark Cup. Poor Amanda has had to drive one and a half hours to get me, and now has to do the return journey. It is not the most ideal situation to meet your girlfriend's mother in.

"Thank you so much, Amanda. I told Leah that I could just get a taxi, but she was being really stubborn." I am pulled into a hug in a way that both crushes the life out of me and is cautious about my calf. It's nice, even though I'm a little conscious of how hygienic my state is after over twenty-four hours of travelling.

"Nonsense!" Amanda laughs, rubbing my shoulder. "It wasn't too bad and it's all because Leah cares about you so much. And you guys are finally together!" Her excitement causes me to subtly check if anyone is listening, wondering if anyone actually cares at this hour.