[4.] 𓆛 A Chaste Therapy Session

Start from the beginning

What's wrong with her?

She just shook her head, taking Akali's hand in her own and smiling at her daughter. Her eyelashes were clumped and her nose and waterlines were red.

She's got the most stunning eyes—blue like Akali's, and any elegance to the shape of her face and features was thanks to her genes.

Akali never really knew how to feel when she saw her mom. Between her parents, she's her first pick. But she's still messed up a lot herself.

"Nothing," her mom sniffed, trying to make her face placid. Trying to make herself look okay. "It's fine."

Still. No matter what, it fucking sucked to see her mother like that.

Akali's convinced it's her fault.

"You're not fine—"

Akali's mom vigorously shook her head, evidently forcing herself smile.

"I'm okay, baby. Don't worry," she whispered.

Akali sucked in her bottom lip, squeezing her mother's shoulder before kicking off her slides and walking past her to visit Yoko's room.

She's lying down with her headphones covering her ears. The covers are pulled to her chin.

Akali slowed her movements, careful not to scare her as she gradually sank her weight onto her bed to let Yoko know she's there.

Yoko pulled off her headphones and tried to abruptly sit up—

"Take it slow," Akali warned.

"I'm not gonna break," Yoko mumbled, coughing lightly as she rose in the darkness.

Akali furrowed her brows at Yoko as she wheezed.

She's just like her. That's not such a good thing.

"I know," Akali assured softly. "I know better than anyone that you won't."

"Then—"

"You lose your breath a lot, kid. Just... be careful."

"I'm fine."

Akali held her tongue, sticking her hands in the air in surrender.

Yoko hated being treated as fragile, and you know? Akali got that. She respected it. Yoko's not coughing right now, so she'd back off.

"How was your day?" Akali asked, shuffling around so she's seated on her left, over the covers that Yoko's wrapped up in.

Yoko leaned against her.

"Bad."

Akali frowned, resting her back against the headboard.

She had to swallow away the remnants of the panic she felt when she came into the household because she thought Yoko's tumors were back.