Chapter 23

Austin

"And this is my football," Ty says, carrying his little sister in one arm as he shows her around the garage. She's six months old now and they're so close-knit. She reaches for the football, staring at it with concentration before opening her mouth and revealing one top and bottom tooth.

"We don't eat footballs, sis," he gently chides, placing it back on the shelf and giving her a snack from his pocket. She cries before he slips the baby treat in her mouth. Feranmi falls silent before waving her hands happily as she chews on it. Ty grins, kissing her chubby cheeks. She squeals in delight, trying to grab his face and return his kisses. Sharing kisses is her favorite game currently. 

Their interactions are always adorable and their size difference only makes it cuter. They come over to me as I help Nova with some things in her car. I got a job in an auto shop a few months back and everyone comes to me with car troubles now and I don't mind. With all they’ve done for me, I feel humbled to be able to help.

"Hey Fer Fer," I greet the chunky girl. She screeches, drooling a bit as she grins at the nickname. "Looks like she likes me better." I say, reaching out for her. She reaches for me automatically and I smirk.

"Obviously you're confused," Nova checks me with her hip, causing me to move aside as she coos, reaching for her baby sister. Feranmi laughs, not deterred by Nova's violence.

"Obviously you're both confused," Ty says, placing his hand on Nova's face and gently pushing her as well. Feranmi only laughs some more. She waves her hands and holds onto Ty's shirt as he adjusts her, holding her in both arms now. "She knew me first." He says and she looks at him as if in understanding before reaching for his face.

"Isn't that right, sis?" She stares at him, patting his cheek before her gaze moves downwards.

"Oh no," I say, recognizing the action she does with Pops. Ty's eyes widen with fear as he realizes much too late what she's going for. We all watch as she yanks on his beard before he even has time to react. Ty yelps in pain and it takes Nova and I to help him as she refuses to let go. She even cries once we pull her away, hair in her hands and everything. Goodness.

Later, Feranmi is knocked out on the ground, her round belly protruding in her cute little baby nightgown. She passed out after eating. 

It's the weekend and the twins are visiting. Otherwise, it'd be just me at home while Pops and Aunty went out for a date. We wanted them to do something, just the two of them, so we offered to watch over Feranmi. I love taking care of her regardless. 

"Have you decided if you want to take the offer?" Ty asks as he lays down stretched out by his baby sister, a hand on her stomach. She's got a tight hold on his hand so he won't be moving anytime soon.

I hum before answering, sitting beside him on the ground. I glance over at Nova who seems to be fast asleep, sprawled out by her sister's other side. I said that we’re watching over Fernami, but it may be more correct to say that Ty and I are watching over Fernami and Nova. The woman tosses in her sleep, rolling in the opposite direction of her sister. Ty and I watch, amused, before ignoring her. No matter how old we get, Nova will forever be Nova.

"Yeah," I reply. We all graduated last year from high school and the twins and Rose are in college now. I wanted to do a gap year, yearning more than anything to grow more in faith while living with Pops and Aunty. I thought Aunty would frown at that with knowing how she used to associate getting a degree with being somebody. But now, things have changed. I think it's in part because she quit her job last year to stay at home and because of how I've changed. Now, she esteems faith more highly and she and Pops were all for it. 

I turned down offers to schools I had previously applied to and gained wisdom as I stayed here, getting a job as well and saving up. I wanted to pay for my stay at their home but they refuse it, wanting me to invest in myself instead. So I'm doing just that.

But now I'm planning on going to a college. Although…it's about four hours away. It's the only school I found in state that housed a theologically sound biblical minor and will also allow me to get a major in engineering, a passion of mine that Pops has nurtured.  

"I'll be getting back to the school about it next week, Lord willing," I finish and he looks over at me.

"How are you feeling about that?" Or more so, how am I feeling about being away? I'll be living on campus, but unlike the twins who come by every other weekend because their school is just over half an hour away, I'll be visiting much less. 

And I'll see Rose much less.

I don't see her much as is due to all her going ons with school. She's fulfilling her dream by becoming a nurse and it's got her hands tied. A faint smile makes its way to my face. I'm absolutely happy for her. I'm sure, as the Lord wills, we'll see one another more in the future. For now though, we've got to keep growing separately.

"I feel like it's for the best," I say.