Chapter Thirty-seven: There are no purple elephants

Start from the beginning

My jaw dropped. "That's not fair. You didn't even let me smile like I did nothing wrong."

"So you know you did something wrong?"

"What did I do wrong? I said three weeks." I defended.

"And did I agree?"

"No." I mumbled.

He asked again, pretending not to have heard me the first time. "What was that?"

"I said no."

"And you went with yes."

"It's not even three weeks yet."

"Still."

"Okay well for the begging part." I mumbled to myself, but he seemed to catch it since he gave me a confused look. I clasped my hands together and pulled a distraught face. "Please, Please, Benny don't fire me. I want this job so bad. I'll be a better employee I promise."

"I can see you're acting."

My face dropped. "You can? I should take classes then."

"Why aren't you actually begging?" He raised his brows.

I shrugged. "Maybe because I came here to quit. I didn't expect you to be so eager to let me go."

"I'm not."

"You fired me."

"That's because I'm supposed to show some sense of authority."

I laughed a little.

"You've been with me for over a year. Why are you quitting?"

"I'm moving away. My dad's back and he brought some money with him." I joked as I rubbed my hands together. "Cha-ching."

"I'm happy for you." He smiled.

"Really?"

He nodded.

"Benny, we need some more- Oh, you." Toni commented as she entered his office.

I rolled my eyes, a smile playing on my lips. "You don't have to be so mean to me anymore Toni, I no longer work here."

"Has he finally fired you for being so incompetent?"

"Well yes, but I also quit."

"Am I the reason? Because I'd honestly love to be."

I laughed a little. "No. I'm moving away." 

"Oh." She crossed her arms.

I walked up to her and hugged her. "I'll miss you."

"Well, I won't."

I released her. "Of course not. Tell the others I said bye."

She didn't reply. I turned to Benny. "Bye." I waved at him before walking out the office and towards the door.

"Avery?" A voice called out.

Keep walking.

But-

Keep walking I tell you.

So I kept walking. That was until his hand clamped my shoulder. "Or do you prefer Av?"

I smiled a little as I turned to face Wren. "I told you that Av just doesn't work."

"And I didn't listen." He smiled. "How are you? Haven't seen you in a while."

"I quit."

He sighed. "And you would have told me, but I ruined our friendship."

"You didn't ruin our friendship." I soothed.