"No." He says.

Annie wasn't born yesterday, she figures his discomfort at her unexpected presence lay in the woman that had been draped on his arm while staring daggers down her nose at Annie when she'd arrived. The woman's nose had been so high in the air, she'd drown in a rainstorm.

She waits for him to elaborate and maybe confirm her suspicions, but Professor Brown isn't exactly the type of person to talk a gate off its hinges.

They stare at each other in silence a moment longer before Annie runs her hands down her dress and sighs. Then she answers his initial question.

"Jenny's helpin' Mr Keller in his office today," She shrugs, "His assistant, Loretta, has gone on emergency leave."

"Is everything alright?"

"I'm not sure, he didn't give any details." Annie shrugs as she turns back around to finish the white chocolate bar before moving on to the cobbler as Katie appears.

"Is this one ready?" She asks.

"Yes ma'am." Annie slides the chocolate bar towards her and Katie scoops it up, briefly eyeing Professor Brown before she exits the room again.

The professor is quiet behind Annie.

"Where's your sweater?" He asks.

Annie peeks over her shoulder at him as his gaze travels the length of her body. She fights a smile and turns back around. "I was hotter than blue blazes while cookin' in the kitchen, so I left it in Katie's car. Don't worry professor, there's not a breeze to be found in here."

He doesn't respond as Annie finishes prepping the cobbler. She peeks at him through the glass panes of the upper cabinets once more and their eyes meet.

"You should go and enjoy the party." She encourages.

"I don't know if that's possible." He retorts.

"Well, that tracks like a train at the station, doesn't it?" She mumbles and looks down to pick up the dish.

A drink clad hand lands on the counter beside her waist before she's barely moved.

The professor leans into her side. "And what's that supposed to mean?"

Annie's heart does a little flutter at his proximity as his cashmere sweater lightly brushes the bareskin of her shoulder.

"I'm waiting." He says quietly, his breath ruffling the loose tendrils of hair on the side of her face.

She's silent a moment longer before setting the cobbler back down and turning her head towards him and giving him a sympathetic smile.

"You just seem like you don't enjoy much of anything, professor."

"I don't." He grinds out, clearly irritated.

The man hates sympathy.

That much is clear to Annie, but she's not about to let his saturnine disposition scare her off.

"Now why on earth is that?" Annie cocks an eyebrow at him.

The muscle in his jaw jumps as his gray eyes take in her face, "Small talk and mediocrity aren't my thing."

"That's unfortunate. Considerin' that's ninety percent of life in a nutshell." She grins as a breathy laugh escapes her.

His brow furrows. "Then you see my dilemma."

Annie shakes her head at him and smiles again, this time playfully, "My dad would say that's just a lost ball in high weeds."

The professor stares at Annie intently. Finally, she turns back to the cobbler.

"How old are you?" He suddenly asks.

Annie picks up the cobbler and turns toward him. "Now see, that's a third date kind of question, professor."

She winks before stepping past him and carries the dish into the dining room. There a table displays an array of foods and beverages amongst beautiful fall decor.

"Thank you so much, Annie."

"It's not a problem, Professor Green." Annie smiles as she turns towards the woman.

She leans into Annie, "Yes, except I know if Frank had been paying close enough attention, I would have ended up with another sheet cake. This has your name written all over it and it smells divine."

Annie swells at the praise and gives her a mischievous smile. "Thank you, but if he asks it was all his idea."

"Works for me." Professor Green winks. "I hope the professor didn't give you too difficult a time. Katie said he was in the kitchen."

"Professor Brown? He's fine. He's not borrowin' trouble."

"Well, that's something of a surprise." Professor Green tilts her head and looks closer at Annie.

"He's not a very happy person, is he?" Annie asks, quietly.

"No, but it's not his fault. He was raised by a rather stern woman. She wasn't known for her nurturing skills, unfortunately."

Annie's smile falters slightly.

"He'll get there one day." She smiles sadly.

"So will molasses." Annie mumbles and freezes. She hadn't meant to say it. "Jiminy Christmas! I am so sorry."

A bark of laughter escapes Professor Green. "Oh Annie, you are a breath of fresh air. One day we'll have to do tea."

Annie relaxes and smiles at the woman. "I have been known to like a little tea with my sugar."

They both laugh once more as they exchange hugs.

"I should be goin'. Enjoy your party, Professor Green, and congratulations again to your daughter."

"Thank you, Annie." She looks across the table. "You too, Katie."

Katie salutes her and turns to Annie. "I'll grab the bags."

Annie nods and turns to find the professor standing in the doorway of the room. He watches her in a curious manner as she walks towards him.

"Try to enjoy your evenin', Professor. You're in good company, that's not always so easy to come by." She says, giving him a small smile as she touches his arm.

His face grows more serious, "Are you struggling to make friends here?"

She shakes her head, "Don't worry 'bout me. I'm very content where I am."

She's just about to turn away when she leans into him and their eyes meet once more, "And I'm twenty four, by the way. Age is just a number, though, it's what you do with the years that count."

She doesn't wait for an answer as Katie appears next to them and both girls head towards the door. Annie's heart aches at the idea anyone could be raised without the knowledge of or craving for happiness. She doesn't know if it's possible to undo what's been done, but she vows right then to shower Professor Brown with kindness and happiness every chance she gets from this moment forward.

Right after she gets that bless'ed stain out of her beloved Sugar Maple tree blanket.