Blaze

When she walked in, I was stunned that she wasn't in some baggy burlap sack. She had on tight black jeans and a white, peasant blouse. Her hair was down, curled at the ends and I noticed she seemed slightly taller. Clog shoes. This was a side of Spooks none of us had ever seen. She didn't have her glasses on and it was a rare for her to wear contacts.

"You look hot," I told her. I was being honest and that startled me. I'd known Spooks even before her ninth grade transfer to Avery and I wasn't interested in catching feelings for a South Side Atlas bitch.

She blushed, but pressed her lips together, "My sister forced me into this. I am actually here against my will."

"Bet those clothes are from your closet though," I told her, "Everyone has two sides." I studied her face and could barely make out the bruise that her dad had left.

She winced, looking away because she knew I was right and that I was studying her injury.

"Let's get a drink," I told her, putting my hand on her back again. She stiffened every time I did it so we were definitely sticking with that move for the night. I noticed her glance over her shoulder a few times.

"Listen, I need to get back to my sister," she sounded nervous.

"Spooks, please," I stared down at her with a puppy dog face, "Emerald will be fine. She looks like she's having fun."

Sapphire peeked around the corner and noticed that Emerald was caught up with some guy. She was heavily flirting with him and I figured it was just like luck that she'd just abandon me in my moment of desperation.

"See?" I said, pressing on her back softly, "Let's go."

We headed into the kitchen where a few people said hi to us and Sapphire only reciprocated with a shy smile.

"Do you wanna beer?" I asked.

"No, I can't drink tonight."

So she does drink, though.

"Soda?"

"Sure."

She settled herself at the table, eyeing every move I made. I'd never given her any reason to trust me and I was actually pretty impressed that she wouldn't just go along with me until she had things sorted out like her sister's well being.

"Thanks," she opened the soda and sipped daintily. I popped open a beer and sat beside her. Close. Closer than what she probably wanted. I could smell her perfume. It was lavender. She averted my gaze as I made my way down to the very tips of her toes with my eyes.

"Sapphire, you're a very pretty girl," I told her, sipping my beer. She glared at me.

"What do you want, Blaze?" She asked me, "Lie to me anyway because I know I won't get the truth."

Damn.

"Why are you always so defensive?"

"Why are you and your friends such dicks?"

"Why are you at this party?"

"My sister dragged me out and your sister invited me and I'm being rude by not hanging out with Star."

"Your sister wouldn't have known about the party unless you told her and I'll take care of Star."

"I don't want to sleep with you."

"Why?"

There was a long pause as she sipped her soda. The fact that she was even thinking about it made me nervous and excited. I found myself caressing her arm and she jumped slightly.