Two~Gaunt

a/n: Same reminder.

"BOY! GET DOWN HERE!"

Marvolo jumped and ran down the stairs. Ms. Bones was waiting for him, mop in hand and bucket at her feet.

"It's your turn." she hissed.

"But it was my turn last time!" said Marvolo.

"Jimmy's got smallpox." Ms. Bones shoved the mop into Marvolo. "Well?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Yes, Ma'am, what?"

"Yes, Ma'am, I'll clean,"

"Good."

Ms. Bones stalked away. Marvolo sighed and picked up the bucket. He wouldn't be doing this at Hogwarts. A sharp pang of sadness flared in Marvolo's stomach when he thought about Hogwarts. What he'd give to be stuck in the dungeons right now.

"Stuck on mop duty again?"

Marvolo looked up to see his second least favorite person in the world.

" At least it isn't toilet duty." retorted Marvolo. "I heard you got stuck on that twice."

"There are only two bathrooms in this place," the blonde in front of him smirked. "the boys one, and the girls one. You have to mop the entire downstairs!"

"So? I could get it done if you left me alone,"

"They probably make you do this all the time at St. Brutus'," the boy laughed. He walked away, smirking. 

Marvolo couldn't wait to do magic.

Two days later, Marvolo was ordered down stairs by Ms. Bones.

"Someone is here to pick you up," she said, grimacing. "Said they were friends from that school."

On the word "school" she shuddered.

"Go," she ordered, pointing her finger at the door. "They've promised me I won't see you 'till next summer." 

Marvolo followed her finger, unsure of what would be behind those doors. He opened the doors and saw someone he didn't think he'd be seeing until next year.

"Ron!"

"Hiya Marvolo!" Ron said cheerfully. 

They met at the bottom of the orphanage steps and pulled each other into a hug.

"Come on," said Ron. "We gotta get out of here."

Marvolo followed him to a light blue Ford Anglia. There was a red-headed man waiting for them inside who Marvolo assumed to be Ron's dad. Ron claimed shot-gun and waited for Marvolo to get in before he said; "Hit it dad!"

Mr. Weasley started the car and turned it to the road leading away from the orphanage. He drove out of sight of the orphanage before he hit two buttons. When he pressed the second one, the care lifted into the air and began flying

"Wow," Marvolo said.

"Amazing, isn't it?" said Ron's father.

"Yes!" said Marvolo. "How did you –"

"He tinkered with it in his garage," said Ron. "Dad likes to do that kinda stuff."

"Ron . . ."

"Yeah?"

"Why'd you come pick me up?"

"Your letters kept getting shorter and shorter," Ron explained. "I got worried when they got down to only a few sentences. I suspected it had something to do with the orphanage and Hermione agreed with me. So, here we are."

Marvolo smiled, "Thanks, Ron,"

"You're welcome," Ron grinned back.

After miles and miles of farmland and the occasional town, Ron told Marvolo they were nearing the Weasley's house. Once they had arrived, Mr. Weasley turned the car to the right and soon a house came into view. Soon later, with a slight bump, the car hit the ground. Marvolo got out, and had his first good look at his friend's house.

It looked as though it had once been a stone pigpen, but extra rooms had been added here and there until it was several stories high and it was so crooked it looked like it was held up by magic (which, Marvolo reminded himself, it probably was). Four or five chimneys were perched on top of the red roof. A lopsided sign stuck in the ground near the entrance read, THE BURROW. Around the door lay a jumble of rubber boots and a very rusty cauldron. Several fat brown chickens were pecking their way around the yard.

"It's not much," said Ron.

"It's amazing," said Marvolo happily, thinking of the orphanage. 

"Welcome to the Burrow," said Mr. Weasley, looking fondly at the house.

"Ah, you've all arrived in one piece!"

Marvolo turned to see a short, plump, kind faced woman coming towards them.

"You must be Marvolo, it's good to see you dear," she said.

"It's nice to meet you Mrs. Weasley." Marvolo said.

"Well, come inside, I've just made breakfast."

As Mr. Weasley, Ron, and Marvolo followed Mrs. Weasley inside, Marvolo muttered to Ron; "Why am I here exactly?"

"We thought you'd do better off here then at that Muggle orphanage," said Ron. "and it turns out you were. That place was horrid!"

He made a disgusted face.

The Burrow was amazing. Marvolo had barely taken it all in when a voice said; "Hi, Marvolo,"

Marvolo turned to see Ron's older twin brothers, Fred and George.

"Hi Fred and George," said Marvolo.

"How was the trip?" George asked eagerly, leaning forward in his chair.

"Don't get any ideas, young man." Mrs. Weasley said sternly.

"Sorry Mum," said George quickly.

Marvolo had his first chance to fully look around the Burrow. The clock on the wall opposite him had only one hand and no numbers at all. Written on the edge were things like Time to make tea, Time to feed the chickens, and You're late. Books were stacked three deep on the mantelpiece, books with titles like Charm Your Own Cheese, Enchantment in Baking, and One Minute Feasts - It's Magic! And unless Marvolo's ears were deceiving him, the old radio next to the sink had just announced that upcoming was "Witching Hour, with the popular singing sorceress, Celestina Warbeck." 

Mrs. Weasley was clattering around, cooking breakfast while having a heated discussion with her husband.

"I don't know why you wanted to use the car," she said, throwing sausages onto the frying pan. "Couldn't you have just apparated?" 

"Ron wanted to come and I thought he was a bit too young to go side-along apparition." Mr. Weasley said.

"Yeah, Charlie told me it feels terrible," said Ron from his seat at the table.

Marvolo didn't know who Charlie was but he assumed that he was one of Ron's elder brothers. Mrs. Weasley began serving breakfast.