A Meaningful End

We've been fighting this war since we were children and I've loved you for almost as long. I'll never forget the first time I saw your face. How could I? You saved my life after I was shot in the neck during the Battle of Demon Mountain. I thought you were an angel when I saw you hovering over me on the battlefield. I still think you're an angel and as much as I curse a God who could allow this horrible war to rage on for countless years, I also can't articulate my gratitude to Him for sending you to me. You saved my life that day, but you've made it worth living, in spite of everything, ever since.

It's been a long time since I've looked upon your face. Ever since the air grew toxic, we can no longer let our skin be exposed at all. How many nights have we sat side by side in full battle gear, guns at the ready in preparation for any contingency? The bombs go off relentlessly all around us and we have to remain constantly ready to fight our way through an enemy invasion. Still, I wouldn't trade those vigils for anything. Sitting alone with you is the most peaceful thing I can think of.

  Sitting alone with you is the most peaceful thing I can think of

I often think of the last time we made skin to skin contact. I laid my hand on top of yours as you rested it against that willow tree. Do you remember trees? I haven't seen one in years.

I was struck by how weathered and beaten our skin looked

I was struck by how weathered and beaten our skin looked. Are we really that old? Or has this infernal war aged us beyond our years? I barely keep track of time anymore. The nights with you go by in the blink of an eye, whereas all the rest of it drags on interminably. Now that you've been captured, the days feel like a vast void of eternal emptiness.

I'm ashamed to admit I nearly turned my gun on myself when they dragged your limp body into their aircraft. I was too late to stop them and I'll never forgive myself for that. I don't know where they've taken you or if you're even still alive. If you're not in this world, then what am I even fighting for?

Something made me stay my hand. I honestly don't know what. Perhaps some sort of divine intervention. But after I dropped my gun, I saw something incredible. A flash of color in the midst of the gray muck and ruins that make up the entirety of this land. I leaned over for a closer look and saw two bright red flowers growing against all odds out of the barren soil. It seemed like an omen. I knew I couldn't give up. At least not without making some sort of difference.

I've searched high and low for you all over this battered land, but I haven't turned up the slightest whisper as to your whereabouts

I've searched high and low for you all over this battered land, but I haven't turned up the slightest whisper as to your whereabouts. I've unearthed some other interesting intel during the course of my journeys, however. I believe I can end this war. I've discovered the location of their central energy crystal. It powers over ninety percent of their weaponry. If I can take that out, it should effectively cripple them and our forces can sweep in and finish them off.

Of course it's heavily guarded, but I've befriended an enemy defector who knows of a secret back entrance and has agreed to guide me there. I plan on going in with a mini-nuke strapped to my chest and blowing the damn thing to kingdom come.

There's no chance I will survive this endeavor, but at least my demise may have some significance. You saved my life that day so long ago. If you're still out there, perhaps I can save yours along with countless others who need not succumb to the butchery of this war.

We often discussed what may lie beyond this mortal realm as we spent those too short nights together. You were always certain there was a world made of pure light where no one ever has to suffer and we can be with the ones we love forever. I've seen glimpses of it when I close my eyes.

I'm setting off for it now and I'll meet you there, my love. And then our adventure can really begin.