2. Round 1 part 1: The way home

"Down" I sign discreetly. 

My partner ignores me, still staring through the night goggles in the hopes to spot, well, anybody for that matter. Even though only a bit of them is visible, most of it their helmet even, it could be just enough for the wrong people to discover our hideout.

"So far, no one in sight" they whisper, not taking their eyes off our surroundings. 

"They probably-". I don't even finish my sentence. I know I don't even have to for my partner to understand.

"Logically, it would put them at a disadvantage if they attack us from the other side" my partner starts, finally ducking below the only window in this wreckage of a building. Their shoulder brushes against mine.

"They have no way of knowing if someone is actually in here from that side

"They have no way of knowing if someone is actually in here from that side. Our infrared radiation is trapped within these walls, so no machine can discover us. Not to mention that, if they want to avoid our sight, they could be discovered by our front. That is too much risk for killing off a soldier whose survival rate is quite low in this no man's land".

"Two soldiers" I correct them.

I want to meet their eyes, but quickly realise that our body is covered from head to toe, including our faces. 

"How is your leg?", my partner changes the subject. I let out a little sigh, but answer honestly. 

"In pain". 

There is a bit of silence. It is comfortable, though. We just enjoy eachothers company, especially now in this mess of a situation. Our fate is not in our hands anymore.

"So, how high are our chances of survival?" I ask, suddenly curious.

My partner lets out a little, disgruntled noise. As if they're not happy with the news they are about to bring. 

"Well, my calculations say less than twenty percent".

"Ah" is the only thing I manage to bring out. 

That does not look good.

"Do you think the rest made it?" I ask then, trying to distract myself from what I just heard.

"You asked me this yesterday".

"I know. But maybe your vision has changed".

They let out a little laugh.

"I am not some 'all-knowing-entity'".

"Well, your knowledge is that of a computer though".

We both laugh now.

"One that currently has no access to the internet, you mean." they pause for a second, "but besides us, the rest of the squadron should have at least been able to succeed in the mission".

The inside of the ruin we're in, has gotten a little darker. It is getting night time, which also means the desert heat will leave anytime soon. My partner has also noticed, and moves closer to me.