7

"Are you mad at me because I made you see the doctor?" Cyfrin asked the next day as he entered the bedroom. He had knocked first. He always knocked.

Amena looked up from the painting she was working on from the desk in the bedroom. It was raining today, so she was trying something different.

"I'm not mad," Amena said honestly.

"Oh," Cyfrin said, taking a seat on the bed. He was still in his suit.

She liked the suit on him. The thought made heat rise to her cheeks.

"I got tired," she admitted, dropping the paint brush. She turned to face him.

"We didn't get to read our book last night," he said simply. "We'll have to read a little extra tonight."

She nodded. She loved when he read to her.

"Amy told me she wants to see you eating a little more."

She nodded again. "I tried to eat lunch today."

"That's awesome." He was so sincere. Her heart fluttered. "Change doesn't happen overnight, but it's good to hear that you tried. I am proud of you for trying."

She didn't know what was so different today. She felt different today.

She stood up, going over to the bed and sitting next to him. She folded her legs.

"What do you do for work?" she asked him.

"I am a restaurant and nightclub owner with Xavier. I also co-own a loan company with James."

"A loan company?"

"We offer a variety of different services, but most come to us for personal installment loans. They are in need of quick cash for different reasons, most of them emergencies or bills. We give them a time frame and an interest rate."

Amena frowned. "What was the reason my father asked to borrow money?"

Cyfrin frowned. "He told us you were in college and needed a deposit for a house you were trying to rent with friends."

She sucked in a shaky breath of air. That was far from the truth. Her father had made her drop out of high school as soon as she turned sixteen. She had switched schools a lot, and missed many, many days because she was hurt.

"Thank you for letting me stay with you, Cyfrin," she whispered.

"You're welcome," he said back sincerely. "I do like you, Amena, but you aren't trapped here. You can go out and do whatever you want to do. If you want to go to school or go get a job, I am more than happy to help you."

"I just-" she mumbled, looking down. "I just want to feel better."

"What do you mean?" Cyfrin gently lifted her chin, letting her eyes meet his.

He let his thumb draw soothing circles across her cheek. She settled into the touch, feeling the immediate rise of emotions at the simple affection.

"It's like I can never escape him," she said, her words ending into a rough sob that forced her to pull away from him. "Everything I say or do or eat, I hear his voice. I just want it to stop."

She cried painfully, unable to catch her breath. Cyfrin rubbed her back, and she tried to focus on the soothing motion. Her tears fell until there were none left, and she struggled to catch her breath.

It felt good to get that off her chest.

He dried her tears with the pads of his thumb. She liked his touch. It was warm, and didn't scare her, not like she thought it would.

"You're strong," he told her. "You can get past this. You just need to give yourself a little time. It's only been a few weeks. Think of how much you've changed in the last few weeks."

There had been a change. She still felt unsure most of the time. There was almost always lingering anxiety, but there was also freedom, freedom she had never experienced before. That was all thanks to Cyfrin.

He tucked the stray hairs away from her face. "How about dinner?"

Tonight was the first night she went to the kitchen as he cooked.

"Were you a chef?" she asked curiously, watching him chop vegetables with expertise.

"I grew up in a restaurant. I have no formal training, but I helped develop the menu for the restaurant I own now."

"What kind of food do they have?"

"They offer lunch and early dinner before the club opens. It's more of an upscale bistro, and when the club operates we have different quick bites."

Cyfrin seemed happy to answer all of her questions. That put her way at ease about asking them.

He slid her a bowl of stir fry. It was her own bowl tonight, and she would admit that she was a little disappointed. She liked sharing his.

"I see that look," he teased. He gave a deep chuckle. She hadn't heard him make the sound before. Her stomach fluttered. "You're pouting."

She shook her head defiantly.

He came over to her side, scooting close enough so their legs were touching. He took her fork from her, holding the small pieces of food up to her lips.

She ate until she was full, completely satisfied.