10: Brenda

The next day was just as bleak, mentally. Another day of sweating out all of their water and swallowing clouds of sand.

Anna's teeth were so gritty she felt like her gums were bleeding. There was no way to check, though, and she definitely wasn't going to ask anyone to look and see if her mouth was bleeding.

Hours passed in silence.

Minho's bottle was empty. He scowled and threw it across the wasteland in frustration.

"Mature," Anna quipped breathlessly.

He just frowned and didn't move to fetch it.

The mountains drew closer.

Night fell again, and the group of seven made a circle around nothing. The land was empty for miles. There was nothing to hide a fire if they made one. The night was warm enough that no one wanted one anyway. At least this way everyone could get a full night. Anna slept next to Newt, who kept hold of her hand until he fell asleep, his thumb brushing over her knuckles softly. The rhythmic action lulled Anna to sleep faster than she thought possible.

The sun above the Glade was warm that day, as it was every other day. Anna was working with the Track-Hoes as usual, pulling weeds, picking vegetables, trimming the ivy on the Walls. For a day that was by all accounts, average, there was one aspect that made Anna's day anything but.

That aspect stood a few feet away, dropping apples into a basket at his feet, dirt streaking his arms and sweat coating his brow.

For whatever reason, Newt had decided to work with the Track-Hoes that day. His real title was the second-in-command, but after he had gotten his limp his leg was never the same. He didn't talk about it. Anna didn't bring it up.

"Has anyone ever tried climbing to the top?" Thomas broke the silence. It was only the shank's second day, and he was already nothing but questions. Anna would have found it annoying, but no one had the answers he wanted, so there was nothing to be said, aside from the logistical questions like "where are we", and even that was still not completely answerable.

"Tried it," Newt said flatly. "The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top. Besides, what are you gonna do from there?"

"Well, what about the Box?" Thomas asked next. "The next time it comes up-"

"No, we tried that," Newt interrupted. "The Box won't go back down with someone in it." He barely turned from his work.

Anna could see Thomas' gears turning in his mind, the way he turned and stared at the Walls for a second.

"Care to share with the class?" Anna asked him, short of breath.

Thomas straightened. "What if we-"

"No, we tried that, okay?" Newt said over him. "Twice." He leaned against the arbor and regarded Thomas with his clear eyes. "All right, trust me," he insisted. "Anythin' you can think of, we've already tried it."

"The only way out is through the Maze," Anna finished Newt's thought.

He looked at her and nodded. "Precisely."

Thomas looked disappointed.

"Now, look, you want to be helpful?" Newt asked. His soft voice had adopted an appeasing tone, as if he knew that Thomas was about to do something stupid. He picked up a small wicker basket and shovel, the former made by Anna, the latter sent from WICKED. "Go dig us up some more fertilizer," Newt told him. He tossed it to Thomas, who widened his eyes but caught it all the same, the shovel clattering.