【Forty-Three】

शुरू से प्रारंभ करें:

   Plus he once overheard Jane jokingly poke fun at the demon, saying how he tolerated the younger brunette...to which EJ just huffed amused.

   Hoodie once joked that Toby acted as if Jack was his "celebrity crush", which he just stared at the other while Hoodie laughed at his own joke. Masky and Kate told him to ignore the one in yellow, which he did even if he may have somewhat agreed with the stupid joke.

   The older they got, the less time they spent together—or really the less time Toby searched for him. Toby went out on more tasks, started to take his role as a proxy more seriously, possibly even spiraled more into his own insanity—but who's counting that? Jack on the other hand, stayed the same for the most part. His changes were less noticeable, probably since he was only close to a select few. The demon became closer to those he deemed "trustworthy" while keeping his friendships with other "pastas" ambiguous, and spent more time away from the "safe spaces" the head honcho had control over. In a way, they both were fighting with their own versions of humanity, just in separate directions.

   Toby still admired him, even if they had various disputes and conflicts, some of which Toby couldn't really remember. He was confident Jack never hated him despite these occasional issues too.

   He'd be lying if he said he wasn't just slightly envious of how easily the demon's walls crumbled when it came to you.

   Though his envy could never turn to anger or hate, since he was just as guilty as lowering his guard around you. Multiple times he had to restrain himself from invading your space. He didn't want to make you uncomfortable, no, but he did very much want to be close to you, or touch you or something. He wanted to hold your hand, hug you, hold you, kiss you, anything! He had enough control not to do that though.

   When he was with you, it's truly when he felt...hesitant about his own decisions and actions. Even regretful for his own behaviors in certain moments. When he felt reminiscent and longing for better times that he couldn't even remember. Maybe you were magic or something. Or maybe it was because despite everything you weren't nearly as corrupted as everyone else, including him. You were still entangled into the mess of him, the head honcho, but you still distanced yourself from it as much as you could.

   It kind of reminded him of Tim.

   It was funny how the two of you seemed similar in that regard. Wanting to be as far away from the mess, yet unable to really escape it.

   Tim and Brian never wanted to be proxies, Toby knew that, more Tim than Brian. But after a while they seemed to just give up, though that never stopped the two from voicing their hatred of "the operator" as they called him. Toby didn't know what to do during those conversations since he couldn't relate to their experiences, and since he owed the creature his life. He didn't know what Kate thought about it, since she never wanted to be around when conversations like that took place.

   Though, despite all the things you had seen and things you knew, you didn't ever seem to lose your head over it. Sure maybe a few meltdowns, but who doesn't have those once in a while? Unlike other people he knew or even observed, you kept your life relatively the same despite it all. You willingly made efforts to not let it slip out of your control for too long. You cared for your brother, you cared for your friends. You were willing to put everything on the line to protect them. You tried to bring happiness to others and...

   He admired that.

   And he knew it was selfish, but he wanted your attention. The care and affection you had for those close to you. He wanted that to be directed towards him. No, not wanted, craved it. The first meeting you had, he knew he was fucked as soon as you smiled at him, gentleness in your features. It sparked a feeling of giddiness in him.

𝗛𝗲𝘆 𝗧𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗗𝗲𝗺𝗼𝗻𝘀जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें