Chapter Three: Arrivals

Eva dropped her eyes, watching with pinched lips as Mr. Opal's muddied boots turned on heel, retreating back the way he'd came through the swollen forest.

Only when she was certain he was gone did Eva raise her eyes and hurl a wad of sticks and mud where he once stood. Anger sparked in her gut, a familiar feeling after these lessons. It bounced around within her, but she kept it in, easing a breath out.

Uptight bastard.

She'd lost count of the retakes, the lectures, the backhand remarks, pushed them out until all she knew was routine. Same lesson, same result.

A distant bell rang, drumming four times. Her lips curled, lifted at the edges as she clambered up, struggling to move her aching limbs.

Every slippery step sent a jolt of pain up her legs, settling deep in her spine.

"Damn it." Eva cursed lowly, stumbling to a stop, reaching out for a tree to lean against. Her knees shook and wobbled as she held on, half bent over and out of breath.

She wanted to laugh, catching sight of her raw legs, realizing wearing shorts today had been a bad idea. Discolored spots foretold tomorrows bruises.

"Bubble really is getting better", She scoffed, but she'd never tell.

Up the path she followed Mr Opal's footprints, stomping her own into each with unabashed vigor. Over slick roots, squelching mud and too full logs, oozing water from their bodies, Eva slipped, sank  and climbed, pushing her screaming body.

Her smile never wavered, held up by her malice.

Soon, Eva was not following the steps, but voices. Hundreds mixing together, volume raising as the bell rang again. The sound drove Eva faster, her own excitement rising.

They were here.