20. The End, or The Beginning?

Start from the beginning

I believe that's what they call a very open question.

Ultimately, nature will always win. I take the view that perhaps the human population had just got so big that at some point something like this was bound to come along and knock us back down to size. A huge variety of species have, as far as we know, disappeared because of this, maybe nature meant for us to be wiped out completely to give another species a chance? Maybe that would imply Mother Nature has a plan though, rather than just evolution being in action as it has been for millennia.

Unfortunately rather than something like the flu, or measles, or any other disease, the Infection this time paralleled some of our darkest legends and nightmares and produced the mutated human, or Zombie.

Nature will always win, we as a race almost lost. We are still in a very fragile state at the moment, all it would take is a slight mutation of the current infection, perhaps to make it airborne, or a new version of the Infection that spreads via rats and we could be doomed. Go and read The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. After all we've been through over the last decade or so, I guarantee it'll scare you witless.

Jenna Lehmann

Well it certainly wasn't my boyfriend or the drug lords. Perhaps I should try and put a positive spin on it.

I won, I'm still here.

Philippe Verdu

Philippe was walking away as I asked him this question. He stopped, shrugged, and then carried on walking...

His Holiness Ardal O'Keefe

The human spirit won, but the price was terrible to behold.

Samuel Jackson

Our generation lost almost everything. I can only hope that my children win the future back for themselves without having to hear the moaning echo of a Zombie answered a thousand times from all around them.

I hope they win back their dreams.

General Andrew Campbell

No one yet, but we're getting there. The bods at CERN are developing new toys for us to play with and the Americans are starting to clear the South Americas now.

A large part of the world's landmass is pretty much clear, with probably the majority of the remainder clear in the next few years.

All we've got to do then is clear the white zones like Iceland, Jamaica, and North Korea, and then we get to play underwater. I honestly have no idea whether we'll ever eradicate it, but it'd be nice to tell the surfers that they don't have to wear lightweight body armour in the sea. Have you seen a surfer these days? They look like some sort of comic book hero. Rather them than me.

Now the world's production centres and economies are pretty much up and running again, we can start getting a little more technical on the Zeds. The GPS systems are helping hugely and we're getting better and better at taking out large numbers of Zeds with fewer and fewer casualties.

I would quite like to be out of a job in some ways, only then will we have won.

Craig, US Infantry

We did eventually. Or at least, we will once the seas and lakes are utterly clear. It'll take time, but we're on the home run now I think.

If you don't mind, I'll carry a gun for a little while longer though.

Max, Elite Zed Removal

Still fightin', still winnin'.

Tiamat, Chinatown

You may have won something, but I'm damn sure my generation didn't.

Alastair Klinsman

We're not quite at the winning post yet like you Brits are, but we're getting there. Give us a little time and a few more guns and we'll get there.

Dr. Anders Haraldsson

We've won; it's just that not all of the Infected have been told yet. We are constantly upgrading our techniques, our weaponry, and more importantly our knowledge.

As long as we keep learning all we can, and keep fighting the Infection, then we will eventually defeat this insidious thing once and for all. We may yet rescue the future of mankind.

It was close for a little while though wasn't it...

~~~~~ The End ~~~~~