Chapter 16

The first time I stood before the decrepit fence, taking in the sweeping view, I failed to notice the gaping pit lurking behind the tangled hawthorn bush. 

Now, as I lie motionless at the bottom, I have become intimately acquainted with its exact dimensions. Its leafy edges, enveloped in thick swathes of grass, abruptly plummet down eight treacherous feet. The crimson hot blood oozes down my cheek like a macabre stream, dripping onto my left wrist, which is rendered immobile in my violent descent. When I try to stand, excruciating agony rips through my body, a stab of acute pain shooting up from my right leg. It is supposedly broken as the pain pierces right down to the marrow of my bones with no mercy, leaving me with no option but to collapse back down and resign myself to my fate.

Holding my breath and listening intently to every rustle and creak around me, I struggle to keep the overwhelming fear at bay, knowing that death may come at any moment. Slowly, I manage to hoist myself up onto my elbows and push my body further upright until my back is pressed firmly against the frigid soil of the pit - its surface plastered with twisted, gnarled roots of ancient trees.

As the rain gradually subsides, the restless winds sweep away the dreary gray clouds, revealing a night sky alive with sparkling stars, shimmering like a pearl sea through the delicate branches of the trees. The chilly air now pristine and purified, carrying with it only the faintest whiffs of pungent decay from the rotting leaves lining the pit's floor, coupled with the unmistakable scent of damp mushrooms.

Raindrops freeze upon the slick leaves and bloody red hawthorn berries, transforming every surface into a glittering array of ruby earrings that glint faintly in the pale blue light of the indifferent moon. I remember that I have my phone and hastily search through my pockets with my right hand. Finally, I breathe a sigh of relief upon feeling it nestled within my back pocket. Yet my euphoria is short-lived, for as I switch it on, I realize that there's no connection and the battery is on its last legs.

I strive to maintain a calm demeanor, yearning for someone to embark on a search and stumble upon this tranquil location. Sitting motionless, I tilt my head upwards and gaze upon the alluring abyss of the sky, attempting to keep my eyes open. Alas, due to several sleepless nights, I unintentionally drift off to sleep, becoming oblivious to my surroundings.

I awaken with the break of dawn. The forest, awash in the gentle glow of the ascending sun, appears to beam lovingly, illuminating the soul with infinite elation. Fragrant herbs scattered about the slopes of the ravine merrily rustle in the breeze. Dappled tomtits gracefully dart from branch to branch, creating a ruckus akin to that of bustling market-goers, as they chatter and flit amidst the verdant canopy.

As my heavy-lidded eyes finally crack open, I am greeted by the sight of a vividly adorned woodpecker, diligently drumming its beak against a pine trunk, intently listening for the echoes that might betray the presence of succulent larvae. A breeze, as light as a feather, gently stirs billowing snow-white clouds across the resplendent azure sky, which glimmers in the aftermath of a recent downpour. In turn, a benevolent sun pours out its scorching rays upon the forest, imbuing every nook and cranny with warmth and vitality.

I attempt to rise, limping and grasping at the roots, but the unbearable sharp pain coursing through my entire being serves as a haunting reminder of yesterday's fevered nightmare. Exhausted and wracked with agony, I collapse onto the ground, acknowledging the crushing fact that escape from my predicament will only be made possible with the aid of another soul.

The battery on my mobile phone has been completely depleted, my head is throbbing with a powerful thirst and hunger, and a sense of despondency overtakes me as a lucid memory flickers in my exhausted mind. Salt! A circle of salt! I remember with clarity, the way I meticulously scattered the salt around my feet. The rainwater may have rendered the circle invisible, but it was undoubtedly there. Dread has clouded my judgment, impairing my ability to reason and think clearly.

Ah, this means that I have successfully completed the ritual! I have executed each step with meticulous precision, and I am finally liberated! I feel an unbridled urge to jump up, run amok, and release my joyous scream that echoes deep within my soul. IMy soul has been released and now revels in a newfound freedom, unburdened by the shackles of persecution. A sense of immense satisfaction envelops me, as a blissful and healing light courses through my veins, while I lie entombed amidst the damp and decaying leaves.

The last step required to finalize the ritual is to shatter the mirror, yet I now find myself ensnared in yet another precarious trap. Helplessly surveying the surrounding area, I cling onto hope for a miracle. "Gabi must be out searching for me by now," I whisper to myself, attempting to anchor my plummeting spirits. "She is familiar with this ravine through photographs, so she might scout this area next." Overwhelmed by a torrent of thoughts, I lower my head upon my chest, seeking solace with half-opened eyes.

As time drags on, my hopes of being found remain unfulfilled, and I find myself still alone. The glimmering lanterns of the physalis that sway gently in the breeze, evoke memories of my wedding day with Gabriela - a day when we released Chinese lanterns into the night sky. Those radiant lanterns lingered suspended in the jet black expanse overhead, filling us with an intense sense of joy and wonder, akin to that of a child.

The memory of that day sweeps over me like a soothing balm, providing a glimpse of hope in this bleak situation. I imagine Gabriela searching for me tirelessly, hoping to bring me back to the safety of her embrace. But as the night draws close, and the lanterns fade into insignificance, I am left with nothing but the silence of the woods. Once again, I am alone in the face of the overwhelming darkness.

As I am deeply immersed in my reverie, I suddenly hear a soft rustle somewhere nearby and my senses go on high alert. I focus all my attention on the quiet stirring, which grows increasingly louder and louder before coming to an abrupt halt. My body stiffens in place, and I hold my breath, the frantic pounding of my heart ringing relentlessly in my ears. With a slow and hesitant movement, I lift my head, feeling the dread of fear building within me, only for my heart to be suddenly overcome with relief and happiness. There, emerging from the shadows is the silhouette of a once-unknown figure, now identified as Bernard - the ever-faithful sheepdog of my late friend Frank.

With an air of uncertainty, I consider the possibility that Frank might be located somewhere in the immediate vicinity, perhaps even in the company of Gabriela or Alex as well. Just to be sure, I gather up the courage to reveal my presence by bellowing "Frank" at the top of my lungs, repeating the name several times with increasing urgency. As the sound of my voice reverberates into the furthest corners of the forest, a deafening echo springs forth, filling the air with an elongated howl that takes on a life of its own before eventually fading away into the undergrowth. All the while, I fix my gaze unwaveringly on Bernard, who suddenly drops an object from its mouth, hovering in mid-air for a moment before falling into the pit below - a form that vaguely resembles a sack…

"I implore you, do not flee from me," I shout out sternly, all the while keeping a watchful eye on the sheepdog. "Might we perchance discover a coiled length of rope nestled within this satchel of yours?"

As the hope of deliverance and reuniting with Gabriela fills my heart with newfound vigor, I steel myself against the shooting pain that courses relentlessly through my body, summoning every ounce of willpower to drag myself across the ground towards the bag, inch by painstaking inch.

The plaintive whine of the sheepdog shatters the dead silence of the surrounding forest. With great effort, I finally reach the object of my pursuit, putting every last ounce of strength into one final push. Fingers clutching at the object before me, I am wracked with searing pain. As I paw at what was supposed to be a bag, it becomes clear that all is not as it seems. Suddenly, a glint of silver blazes brightly in the light of the moon, and I am struck dumb with disbelief. All at once, the pungent smell of burning and the sound of a distant clatter hits me like a wave. Here, in the palm of my hand, a black mirror glimmers ominously. A black mirror - held within my bare hands!

***

Thank you for reading my book! 

My Instagram - alfiia.gumerkyzy90

My facebook - Alfiia Akhmetova

My mail - akhmetova.alfiya.m@gmail.com

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out via text. I'll be glad to answer your questions!