Chapter 6

Upon entering home, I discover Gabriela sitting at her dressing table, gracefully applying her makeup. As I stand in the doorway, captivated by her beauty, she snaps at me indignantly, expressing her concern over my absence. "I've been trying to reach you. Where have you been?" She utters with a deep frown etched on her face.

"I'm sorry, my love. I have forgotten to turn off the silent mode on my phone," I explain sheepishly as I turn on my device, revealing fifteen missed calls.

Instantly, I shift the topic to the reason behind my departure, "I went to return a photo of your grandfather and just got back from the cemetery," I confess as I kiss her tenderly on the lips and show a picture of the tombstone I made.

Though Gabriela's lips curl into a fleeting smile, it soon fades away, causing me to feel uneasy. Curiosity and surprise flash across her features as she questions, "Why so early, Steve? We could have gone together."

"I woke up earlier than expected, and I didn't want to disturb your sleep," I reply, hoping to pacify her.

"Fair enough," she agrees before changing the subject. "Would you like to accompany me to my old school?"

"Of course," I nod in agreement, eager to spend more time with my beloved. I quickly change my tattered clothes and opt for a crisp white t-shirt paired with black jeans, while Gabriela dresses herself in a delightful light blue cotton summer dress, completing her look with a pair of pins to hold up her hair.

As we descend the staircase, the savory scents of freshly baked pastries greet us, enveloping us in their warm embrace. Upon reaching the source of the aroma, we find Kristeen, who has just pulled a scrumptious-looking meat pie out of the oven, ready to be divided into portions. With an infectious smile, she calls us over, beckoning us to join her at the table.

Gabriela, clearly impressed with the meal, praises the pie, "This is possibly the most delicious thing I have ever seen!"

Kristeen blushes, humbly revealing that the recipe has been passed down through generations in her family. The delightful meal gathers all the family around the table, and we settle in to enjoy the moment with each other, savoring each bite of the delicious pie.

Suddenly, the pleasant ambiance of our meal is shattered by a sharp cry from Alex. Provoking us all to jump from our seats in alarm, we watch as he clutches his mouth in agony and yells at the top of his lungs, losing his balance and falling heavily to the floor. 

A heart-wrenching wail escapes Isabel's lips as she rushes towards her husband, panicked and horrified, "Alex, honey, what happened!"

A look of shock and pain is etched onto Alex's face as he covers his mouth with a trembling hand, struggling to make coherent sounds. His free arm flails wildly in the air, and his contorted grimace speaks volumes about the agony he is in. Instinctively, I rush to his side, carefully prying open his fingers to release the fist he has clenched onto his mouth. Alex helplessly releases his hand and a surge of blood rushes out, staining his gray shirt. The ensuing silence is quickly cut by the cries of Tom and Lily, who burst into tears at the sight. While Isabel rushes to soothe them and leads them out of the kitchen, Alex lets out a string of curses, spitting out a sharp piece of glass, about the size of a quarter.

As the commotion continues to unfold, Kristeen stands rooted to the spot, all color draining from her face as she flits her gaze nervously between the pie, her son, and back again. Her expression betrays her utter shock and confusion at the turn of events.

Without a moment's hesitation, Gabriela and I spring into action, each taking a side of the semi-conscious Alex and ushering him out of the house. We gently settle him in the back seat of the car, and with a sudden sense of urgency speed towards the nearest hospital.