Chapter 2

Isabel and her husband Alex greet us at the airport with warm hugs and smiles. Gabriela is overjoyed to see her childhood friend after many years apart. 

It had been a difficult time for her when her family had moved away all those years ago. She had resented her father for taking her away from her friend and blamed him for many of the troubles that followed, including the early death of her mother who had suffered from a long illness.

But as time passed, Gabriela had come to terms with her past and learned to let go of her anger and regret. She and her father had settled in Seattle, where he found work at a factory and Gabriela juggled a job at a Chinese cafe with her studies at college. However, her father's health began to decline rapidly and after two years of struggling with illness, he passed away from a heart attack. Regrettably, the opportunity to meet him face to face and engage in an intimate, heart-to-heart conversation was forever out of my reach.

As I watch Gabriela run towards Isabel, tears of happiness streaming down her face, an indescribable feeling of elation wells up inside me, as I find myself unable to contain my happiness for her. The two friends engulf each other tightly in a warm embrace, as if the years apart have been mere minutes, and chatter away animatedly, their hands wildly gesturing in the air. It is a heartwarming reunion and I feel grateful to be a part of it.

I approach Alex and extend my hand, introducing myself with a beaming smile. "Hi there! I'm Steve. You must be Alex. I've heard so much about you!"

Alex, a tall man in his mid-thirties, boasts an angular face with a charming smile and a mustache. He returns my smile, his narrow eyes squinting even more, and deep wrinkles forming on his face. "It's a pleasure to meet you. How was your journey to our quaint little town?" he inquires.

"I slept all the way here, so it was a smooth flight," I reply, feeling a sense of relief that the journey was uneventful.

Alex nods understandingly, "I'm glad to hear that. It can be quite a long trip for some."

As we walk towards the entrance, I notice how deeply bronzed his face is, a testament to his love for the outdoors.

As Gabriela and Isabel approach us, I take the opportunity to introduce myself to Isabel. Despite her youthful appearance, I notice her somewhat old-fashioned attire. Her black hair is styled in a unique way, and she's wearing a white shirt with long sleeves and a long skirt.

Isabel greets me with a quick handshake and a faint smile, "Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay here!"

"Thank you, I'm sure I will!" I reply, taking in the scenery all around me, with trees swaying softly in the distance and leaves rustling in the gentle breeze.

Gabriela chimes in, "We've been looking forward to this break for a long time. It's great to finally be here and relax."

Isabel nods in agreement, "Well, you know you've certainly come to the right place. Our town is known for its tranquility and stunning scenery. I'm sure you'll both love it here!"

I feel a sense of excitement and anticipation building inside me as I take in the warm welcome from Alex and Isabel and the promise of a peaceful retreat in this idyllic setting.

***

We exit the terminal building, bracing ourselves as the chilly wind gusts past us. Dark clouds loom above, threatening to unleash a heavy downpour at any moment. The air is crisp, and I can feel the moisture in it. Just as we begin to walk towards the parking lot, the first few raindrops start to fall, pelting my head and shoulders. The sound of the rain tapping on the ground and roof is rhythmic and calming, and I take a deep breath, inhaling the refreshing scent of cold air and wet earth.