Chapter 2

That night, I dreamt of him and his face... The way he was so mysterious... And gentle... I dreamt of him holding me in his arms when I was a 2 year old and protecting me and telling me stories and checking under my bed for monsters... I then saw his face in front of mine with burning eyes...

I woke up breathing heavily... My auntie rushed in with a glass of water and a warm and wet cloth to put over my forehead...

She helped me sit up and I drank some water before laying down again. She asked me what I dreamt about and I told her that it was about my mother and father... But of course, I lied...

For once it wasn't nightmares about my mother or father... This man was ruining my life and giving me horrible haunting dreams. What do I do? I'm scared of him now, who is he?

"Ma'am, who is that mysterious man upstairs and why does he say he knew me when I was 2?", I asked her.

"That's Mr. Todd... His first name is Sweeney dear... How he knows you from 2 years of age? That I don't know love...", she said softly.

She stared down at me stroking my hair gently before telling me to go to sleep.

I woke up the next morning feeling sick. I went into the bathroom before staring at myself in the mirror... My skin was an unhealthy pale color...

My auntie walked in and gasped straight away.

"Oh my, what happened to you love?", she asked staring at me.

"I feel sick... I feel nauseous... I don't know what's happening to me...", I said.

"When was the last time you ate?", she asked.

"Last night... Sweeney gave me a bit of his pie...", I said suddenly remembering all the events from the previous night.

"Oh dear, come and have breakfast dear, maybe you'll feel better then aye?", she asked.

I nodded and suddenly thought of something...

"Auntie, maybe it's my corset, it is tight you know?", I said.

"Oh yeah, try loosening it dear...", she said.

I nodded and walked back into my room. She walked out and closed the door. I quickly took my dress off along with my corset, I then put my dress back on without a corset...

"Breakfast dear, come on!", I heard my auntie yell.

"Coming!", I yelled pulling my hair out.

I looked at myself in the mirror once again before walking out. I saw Sweeney staring at the table then at me, smiling.

I wondered why he was smiling but then noticed that, it was really easy to know if I was wearing a corset or not...

My auntie stared at him with a smile on her face, she loved him... She then turned to me and gasped running over and pulling me into the room...

"Why aren't you wearing a corset?", she whispered loudly and angrily.

"There is a man in the house... Don't do that... Put your corset on...", she said throwing the corset at me.

I refused to put it on so I just decided to wear my vintage light gray and white dress... It was my favorite...

I walked out and she smiled staring at me with satisfaction as she worked on her pies she was busy baking.

"Why don't you sit next to Mr. T and I'll bake us some apple pie...", she said and I smiled.

Sweeney stared at me but I refused to make eye contact.

"Oh dear, I didn't buy any apples, I'll just go fetch some, I'll be right back...", she said walking out of her shop and running down the busy street.

Sweeney looked away for a moment and there was an awkward silence... He finally spoke up.

"You look awfully pale today... What happened?", he asked me.

I didn't respond to his question and he suddenly grabbed my hand gently.

"You grew up to be way more beautiful than I thought you would...", he whispered.

"Aren't you married sir?", I asked.

He backed away and stared down at the ground sadly...

"My wife killed herself after I was imprisoned and sent to Australia...", he said.

I sat there with sympathy. I don't know what came over me put I leaned in and hugged him. I could feel him staring down at me with confusion...

"I'm so sorry sir...", I said backing away.

He stared at me and softly smiled caressing my cheek.

"I know you are...", he said standing up.