21

[ MONTE CARLO, MONACO ]
MAY 2021

IT WAS TIME for arguably the most anticipated, important race of the year: Monaco. Reina was dazzled by the grand city; Monte Carlo was decked with piers, casinos, and luxury cars. The wives and girlfriends of various drivers came, as the Monaco Grand Prix was a momentous occasion. Celebrities and business owners alike were found congregating in the hospitality areas of the paddock.

As the team prepared for the race, Reina too did her job, taking as many pictures of the action as she could. The rumble of fans waiting in the grandstands was loud and clear; the Tifosi had high hopes for Carlos, who had gotten fourth in qualifying. On the other hand, Charles, who had gotten pole position, was forced to DNS due to a cracked driveshaft hub. He was made to retire and watch from the sidelines of his home race, which undoubtedly disappointed fans. This put even more pressure on Carlos, who was now starting from third, given Charles's retirement.

Nevertheless, Carlos gave Reina a signature wink through her camera lens as he rolled out of the garage and lined up at the start.

"He really is the smooth operator," Reina muttered to herself, laughing.

A few minutes after Carlos drove away, the race began. "Lights out and away we go!" Reina heard an announcer yell over a loudspeaker.

The signature roar of the engines blasted the spectators' eardrums, but no one cared; onlookers only screamed more for their favorite teams. Throughout the race, Reina held her breath as she watched Carlos hold down his position. He fought to maintain third, but then, Valtteri Bottas, who started ahead of Carlos, had a failed pit stop and retired. This brought him up to second, which he maintained well.

Before she knew it, the chequered flag was waved and the race came to an end.

Reina was delighted for Carlos, for not only did he get podium, but his first podium ever with Ferrari. She couldn't wait to congratulate him after he was done speaking with his team members and various news reporters.

But he had a different plan—he came straight to Reina, who was in the paddock. She was putting away her camera in her bag when she saw a large crowd approaching. It was Carlos, followed by a mob of reporters and photographers.

Reina quickly set down her equipment and ran to Carlos. "Congratulations!" she cheered, giving him a friendly side hug. She wanted to be a bit more genuine—maybe a tighter embrace or a kiss on the cheek—but dozens of cameras were following him, and nearly every person even remotely associated with Ferrari was in view.

Carlos had a huge grin on his face. He still had his helmet under his arm and his racing suit was halfway unzipped. He lightly guided her face to look at his, finger under her chin, giving her a loving look. "Thank you," he replied.

"What are you doing?" whispered Reina, wide-eyed, trying to jerk her head in the direction of the cameras.

"Showing everybody the win that is more important to me," whispered Carlos back. Without hesitation or a second for Reina to prepare, Carlos kissed her passionately.

Even though her eyes fluttered shut, she could see the flash of dozens of cameras. After a few seconds, the two broke apart. Reina smiled, looking down, with her cheeks flushed.

From the balcony overlooking the garages and pit lane, a few cheers and wolf-whistles sounded. It was Charlotte, Luisinha, and Katerina, watching along with a few others Reina did not recognize. Reina laughed.

"So, Carlos, tell us, who's this lucky lady?" asked a reporter.

Carlos responded into the microphone. "Oh, you've got it all wrong. I consider myself to be the lucky one," he said, glancing to the side at Reina as he spoke. "Reina has been such a rock for me and she has made the transition to Ferrari so easy."

"We've seen you spotted with her at various races now, is she your girlfriend?" asked another.

Carlos glanced at Reina. Reina's eyes widened, waiting for his answer. Her heart began to beat quicker—what would he say?

But he stayed cool. While gazing at her, Carlos told the reporter, "Yes. Yes, she is."

Reina beamed at him.

"Congratulations to the newest couple on the paddock and on your victory, Carlos, how do you feel?" yet another reporter asked.

"Great, really great," he responded. "Obviously, I could not have gotten P2 without the support from team and all the work that everybody put into today, and in that regard too, I feel lucky."

"And your new girlfriend is a part of that team, no?"

Carlos nodded. "Yes, Reina is our phenomenal team photographer. She is responsible for many of the amazing pictures that go on our website and social media."

After a few more questions, Reina and Carlos walked away, hand in hand, in the for the podium ceremony.

"Girlfriend?" asked Reina, smiling. She felt light-headed, like she was on cloud nine.

Carlos nodded, giving her a sweet grin. "If you'll have me."

"Of course," she responded.

And so Reina watched with joy as Carlos stood on the podium, spraying champagne with Max and Lando. And soon came the best part of the night: the afterparty.

-

❤️ Liked by scuderiaferrari and 656, 234 otherscarlossainz55 P2 VAMOS!!!! 🏆🇲🇨@scuderiaferrari #Monaco GP-#essereFerrari📸: @reinaamaral

carlossainz55 P2 VAMOS!!!! 🏆🇲🇨
@scuderiaferrari #Monaco GP
-
#essereFerrari
📸: @reinaamaral

View all 6,192 comments
user849 VAMOS CARLOS!!!!
user9412 sad day for all the f1 girlies 🤧
reinaamaral felicidades :) (congratuations
user948 @reinaamaral ^^ YALL IS THIS HER
user104 @user948 yes

-

a/n

dropping carina content to make up for 19 chapters of bland nothingness LOL

9k reads is so awesome!!! i mean it from the bottom of my heart—thank you to each and every one of you who took the time to open this book and read my work. i love you guys.

also would anybody want to read a charles leclerc x oc book in the future 🤠 someone sedate me i can't stop writing