06

[ MARANELLO, ITALY ]
FEBRUARY 2021

IT WAS NOW February. Reina stood in the mirror, gazing at her red Ferrari polo tucked into a skirt with black kitten heels, brunette hair pinned back. Her lips were a matching signature Ferrari red.

It was the first day of her new job. Trying to collect her thoughts, she sighed, gazing into her reflection.

The door swung open. "Reina. Vamos." (Let's go)

"Ay, Adrian! Knock, please!" exclaimed Reina.

Adrian rolled his eyes. "Come on, beauty queen, we're gonna be late."

Reina was grateful to her brother for giving her his spare bedroom in his Maranello apartment, but she badly missed solitude and privacy.

The two headed to his garage, sitting in the car. Reina placed her camera bag at her feet and held her purse on her lap, sipping on a cup of coffee.

"Ready?" asked Adrian.

Reina nodded.

The car sped off down the streets of Italy. The car was a gorgeous black with just the slightest matte finish to it, the signature Ferrari horse emblazoned the steering wheel.

In no more than a few minutes, the car rolled into the Ferrari headquarters complex. As Adrian parked the car, Reina once again found herself marveling at the size and luxury of the building.

"Are you done gawking, or what?" asked Adrian.

The car was parked and turned off, and Reina hadn't even noticed. "Oh," she said, gathering her things and stepping out of the car.

"Alright, well I'm headed that way. Do you need help?" asked Adrian, pointing at a different area of the complex.

"No," said Reina. "I got it. Hasta luego." (See you later)

With her camera bag in her left hand and her purse in her right, Reina frowned as she struggled to juggle her coffee too.

"Let me help you," said a voice behind her.

It was the same doe-eyed, brown-haired man who she reacquainted with last month. "Carlos! Oh, gosh, you're my hero."

Carlos smiled, grabbing Reina's heavy camera bag. "I'll take this."

Reina grinned. "Thank you."

The two walked off towards the building.

"How have you been?" Reina asked Carlos.

Carlos shrugged. "Good. Have been training a lot for the upcoming season, so I've been busy. But good, otherwise."

Reina nodded. She was about to respond when her phone rang.

"One second," she said apologetically. Picking up the phone, she said, "Hola?"

"Quería desearte la mejor de las suertes en tu primer día, Reinie!" (I wanted to wish you the best of luck on your first day, Reinie)

It was Sofia, Reina's best friend from home. Like Reina, Sofia lived in Spain, but Sofia was ethnically Mexican. The two girls immediately clicked on day on the subway and became friends ever since. Sofia, unlike Reina, was a huge Formula One fan, and always spoke with Adrian about it. Her favorite driver was Checo Perez of Red Bull, but she loved all of the drivers.

"Gracias, Sofi," replied Reina."Oye, sabes con quién estoy ahora?" (Thank you, Sofi. Hey, do you know who I am with right now?)

"No..."